Marlin Serial Number

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kroman35
Beginner

Marlin Serial Number

Post by kroman35 »

Hello,
I was given a Marlin lever action 44-40 by my father. The serial number on the gun is 30xxx . I was wondering if someone could give me some info and history about this gun?

Thank you
Tony
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Your number would suggest a very early rifle, what are the patent dates on the barrel?
GBOT, GBUSA
kroman35
Beginner

Post by kroman35 »

It has "1887 and 1889" on the barrel
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Reigner can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 30xxx would be 1890, and this would be an early Model 1889 as they went through aproximately serial no. 45000 in that year and ended with aproximately serial no. 30000 in 1889. The model 1889 started with three calibers 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40. This was the first side eject model. If the butt stock is original it should have the serial number stamped into it. Most, but not all, Marlin stocks were serial numbered to the rifle. These rifles were made in 24, 26 and 28 inch barrels with special order lengths available. The carbine came in 20". According to Brophy's book the high for the year 1889 was serial no. 30,793. His book also shows lower serial numbers in later years. So you may want to wait to see if Reigner has the records on yours (he would need the whole serial number) and he can tell you when and in what configuration it left the factory.
GBOT, GBUSA
kroman35
Beginner

Post by kroman35 »

Thank you so very much for the info. I hope to get some pictures up soon so you can see it, any more info would be greatly received.

Tony
RollenThunder
Beginner

Re:

Post by RollenThunder »

Sure-Shot wrote:Reigner can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 30xxx would be 1890, and this would be an early Model 1889 as they went through aproximately serial no. 45000 in that year and ended with aproximately serial no. 30000 in 1889. The model 1889 started with three calibers 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40. This was the first side eject model. If the butt stock is original it should have the serial number stamped into it. Most, but not all, Marlin stocks were serial numbered to the rifle. These rifles were made in 24, 26 and 28 inch barrels with special order lengths available. The carbine came in 20". According to Brophy's book the high for the year 1889 was serial no. 30,793. His book also shows lower serial numbers in later years. So you may want to wait to see if Reigner has the records on yours (he would need the whole serial number) and he can tell you when and in what configuration it left the factory.
I To Have The Same Gun As Well But The Last Date On The Barrel Is Aug 1st 1893 With Serial # 168953
RollenThunder
Beginner

I Am Currently Looking For Some Marlin Model 1893 Parts

Post by RollenThunder »

I Am Currently Looking For Some Marlin Model 1893 Parts For My Lever Action It Is A 30-30 . It Is Missing The Following Parts! The Magazine Is A Full Lenth Tube, Spring, Plunger, And The Magazine Tube Holder That Attaches To The End Of The Barrel. The Front Flip up Ring Sight In The Middle Of The Ring Is Missing But When You Lay The Ring Back Down Against The Barrel The Other Site Pointer Is Still There! It Is Also Missing The Rear Stock It Is Gone! I Have Been Looking For These Items For Awhile Now But With No Such Luck! I Hope Someone Can Point Me In The Right Direction For These Parts As I Would Like To Restore This Gun Again And Use It! Thanks! RollenThunder
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: I Am Currently Looking For Some Marlin Model 1893 Parts

Post by Bear 45/70 »

RollenThunder wrote:I Am Currently Looking For Some Marlin Model 1893 Parts For My Lever Action It Is A 30-30 . It Is Missing The Following Parts! The Magazine Is A Full Lenth Tube, Spring, Plunger, And The Magazine Tube Holder That Attaches To The End Of The Barrel. The Front Flip up Ring Sight In The Middle Of The Ring Is Missing But When You Lay The Ring Back Down Against The Barrel The Other Site Pointer Is Still There! It Is Also Missing The Rear Stock It Is Gone! I Have Been Looking For These Items For Awhile Now But With No Such Luck! I Hope Someone Can Point Me In The Right Direction For These Parts As I Would Like To Restore This Gun Again And Use It! Thanks! RollenThunder
You already posted this elsewhere. Why are you reposting it again?
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."