Model 1889 44-40 short mag pics

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Savvy Jack
Beginner

Model 1889 44-40 short mag pics

Post by Savvy Jack »

Hi all. I just ran across this forum and wanted to join up and share my rifle with you. I am 40 years old and my dad handed his 44-40 down to me after having it for 47 years. My dad told me the gun was originally purchased by his brother in 1960 and my dad gave him a $40 pistol to aid in my uncle purchasing the rifle. He still does not know the total price that was paid. However, shortly afterward my uncle gave the gun to my dad. So my dad had $40 in the gun...lol

I am still learning about this old rifle and am beginning to enjoy every minute of it. I have lots of questions so I hope you can bare with me while I research the forum before boring you guys to death with my questions.

The SN# seams to make this an 1892 manufacture date. I was wondering if I can shoot modern loads or if you can tell me what I need to use. Knock me over the head if I don't even need to think about shooting it. I dont want to shoot black powder due to the mess and rust that it causes if not properly cleaned. I hear its a real pain to clean black powder. I thought about selling it but several guys convinced me to keep it and said I could shoot modern CowBoy Loads.

Also, it has a short magazine and I can not find any evidence that it was cut down. I have looked the barrel over with a magnified glass and can not find any dovetail fillings....so thats what I was told I would find if it wasa field modification.

Thanks!

To see more pics, visit the photobucket link.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/C ... n%2044-40/

Last edited by Savvy Jack on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Curtisp6ehawk;

About the only way to be sure your Model 1889 left the factory with that short magazine is to compare the serial number to the factory records.
It looks good, but so do some that have been cut off.
There are smokeless powder loads that are acceptable to your Model 1889, but be sure to use lead bullets only. The barrel steel is soft, and jacketed bullets will wear the bore out quickly.
I hope this helps.
Savvy Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy Jack »

Thanks Regnier

The SN# is 80017

I am new at this...basically just started a few days ago. I have exhausted internet resources looking for direct information. Now i am going to search for indirect resources such as books and clubs for information. I am sure I missed something so I will keep. Can you lead me in the right direction on how to obtain factory records?

Regards
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Curtis-p6e-hawk;

You are in the right place. The factory records for your rifle indicate it left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in late 1892, with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .44-40 caliber. The magazine is not mentioned, so it is assumed that it was a full magazine when it left the factory.
How long is your barrel. Measure from the muzzle to the face of the breech bolt. If the barrel is less than 24 inches, it has been cut off, and the magazine tube dovetail was removed in the process and the magazine shortened to the current length.
The sling swivels are not a factory type either. They are an aftermarket add-on.
I hope this helps.
Savvy Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy Jack »

Again Thanks Regnier Here is another pic. I guess it is not important about the short magazine, I just wondered why it was so short. Neither me nor my dad ever paid attention to it until I posted these pics...lol

Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

That looks like 24" to me. If there is no dovetail on the front of the barrel, it may have been welded. How is the mag tube held in? Is there a screw through the tube into the barrel or nose cap tennon, or are the nose cap screws longer and screw into the tube? Something has to be holding the mag tube in place otherwise the mag spring pressure would force it out.
My guess is that the tube was modified by however added the swivel.

-jim
Savvy Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy Jack »

Well, I really didnt want to take it apart but I was just as curious. It is a divetail cut in the barrel with scew holes in the tab on each side. The nose cap holds the wood and mag tube in place...with two screws, one on each side. See pic

Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Re: Model 1889 44-40 short mag pics

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Here is some more. This morning I disassembled the rifle for cleaning. Neither I nor my dad have ever done this to it before, First time in more than 63 years this has been done.

The reciever is SN# 80017
ButtStock is SN# 80017
Buttplate SN#80017

Mag tube is held in by a Forend Tip Tenon of which then the cap is screwed into. The tenon is fitted to the barrel by a dovetail fit. I can not tell how the front or rear swivel is attached but did add photos.

Sorry, problem with photo sizes on this forum...check here:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marli ... ost1430537
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marli ... ost1430538
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Savvy_Jack;

Unfortunately, unless you are a registered user of that particular site, you cannot view the photos you posted over there. To reduce the pixel size of a photo is easy, open the photo in your computer and use the edit icon to reduce the size of the photo which will reduce the pixel size as well. Then send the pictures to photobucket and list the image here.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Whats the max size?

TEST

Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Ok, having a hard time with this forums format. I'll take it slow this time. Can't seem to edit my posts here for corrections.

too much trouble, nevermind
Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Reginer, I think I have it now!!!

Here is some more. The other morning I disassembled the rifle for cleaning. Neither I nor my dad have ever done this to it before, First time in more than 53 years this has been done.

The reciever is SN# 80017
ButtStock is SN# 80017
Buttplate SN#80017

Mag tube is held in by a Forend Tip Tenon of which then the cap is screwed into. The tenon is fitted to the barrel by a dovetail fit. I can not tell how the front or rear swivel is attached.
...and of course the trigger plate.

I also found some matching swivels on a German shotgun, only ones I have ever seen up close other than mine!!
The gun maker Deutsche Waffenfabrik Georg Knaak is listed in Berlin, Germany circa 1880-1910.
on gunbrokers http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =333810605

Here are mine again,
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Savvy_Jack;

Okay, I rechecked the records to make sure I did not make a mistake before, and I did not. Your Model 1889 was shipped in late 1892 with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .44-40 caliber.
But, looking at other serial numbers around your serial number, I did find a number of other Model 1889's shipped the same day as yours, and the records do list a short magazine tube for many of those guns. I suspect your gun is correct in regards to the magazine tube, and that feature was simply omitted in the records at the time.
I am afraid you are on your own in regards to the sling swivels. They are not Marlin. Marlin attached the front swivel to the forearm cap, not the barrel. They are not in the style utilized by Marlin either.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Savvy_Jack;

Okay, I rechecked the records to make sure I did not make a mistake before, and I did not. Your Model 1889 was shipped in late 1892 with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .44-40 caliber.
But, looking at other serial numbers around your serial number, I did find a number of other Model 1889's shipped the same day as yours, and the records do list a short magazine tube for many of those guns. I suspect your gun is correct in regards to the magazine tube, and that feature was simply omitted in the records at the time.
I am afraid you are on your own in regards to the sling swivels. They are not Marlin. Marlin attached the front swivel to the forearm cap, not the barrel. They are not in the style utilized by Marlin either.
I hope this helps.
That does help a lot. Thanks for the recheck. The swivels always threw me for a loop. They are small, almost 1" wide to fit a 5/8ths sling. The front swivel is soldered to the barrel just like a shotgun. I think the swivels are German and have only seen them on very few of those shotguns.
Savvy_Jack
Beginner

Post by Savvy_Jack »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Savvy_Jack;

I hope this helps.
Regnier, any chance the "papers" say where or to whom it was shipped to?
Thanks