New Guy

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

paulownian
Beginner

New Guy

Post by paulownian »

I am new to the forum. Hope to do some CAS later this year. I shoot a lot of target; some sporting clays. I have the two Marlins listed in my signature block.
Paulownian
Marlin model 1894S 44 mag lever action rifle
Marlin 1898 12ga Cowboy Action Shotgun
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
sunday bill
Beginner

Marlin shotgun

Post by sunday bill »

Paulownian,

You don't say if you plan to shoot your shotgun in CAS. Not to be the bearer of bad news or to be negative, but if you're planning on SASS as your venue for CAS, then you'll have to use a shotgun other than the Marlin.

Some time back Marlin issued a statement, something to the effect that their shotguns, the SASS-legal ones, at least, may not be safe.

SASS reacted(an over-reaction in the eyes of some) by banning Marlins.

Other organizations may allow Marlin shotguns. Some SASS clubs may permit them at monthly shoots.

Either way, ENJOY.
paulownian
Beginner

Shotgun

Post by paulownian »

I purchased the shotgun from a current shooter who used it frequently for CAS at SASS events and had no problem. It has had a complete cowboy action job, tightened and headspace set, lengthened forcing cone and chamber, barrel cut to 20", and tru-choke tubes installed. This is a smooth cowboy competition shotgun. My local club hasn't expressed any concern.
Paulownian
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
sunday bill
Beginner

Shotgun again

Post by sunday bill »

I'm told that some SASS clubs allow their use at their local events. Every SASS state level and above match we have attended has disallowed them.

Our club lawyer has advised we observe and enforce all SASS rules in case of a mishap, even at our monthly matches.

On a happier note, my better 1/3 and I are Marlin cowboy rifle fanatics. She shoots the little '94 C and CSs in .357 and my favorites are the Cowboys in .44 and .45; an occasional match with a 24" .357 Cowboy is fun, too.

Considering the ease of take-down for thorough cleaning, no other rifle serves this BP cartridge shooter better than a Marlin.

Hope to shoot with you down the trail.
paulownian
Beginner

Post by paulownian »

I sent the following message to the guy I bought the gun from:

Is it true that SASS has banned this gun from competition because of
concerns from Marlin that it may be unsafe?

His response:

Not that I know of, there are alot of safety concerns with many of the guns that are being used in cowboy action shooting, any gun built in the early 1900's or earlier needs to be checked and used with caution whether its marlin, winchester, or LC Smith these guns were designed with low pressure mostly black powder cartridges and caution should be taken when shooting any of these guns. That being said I don't know of any ban on any of the guns except some local clubs have banned some of the guns based on primarilary their own biases. But common sense says never shoot full pressure loads in any of these older guns and never shoot modern powder in any damascus or twisted barrels.

Does anyone know of a definitive rule, regulation, reason, or anything lawful stating why I can't shoot this gun?
Paulownian
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
paulownian
Beginner

SASS Ruling

Post by paulownian »

I just checked with the SASS folks and you are correct - not legal. It looks like I got screwed into buying a gun that I can't use at SASS events. What kind of person would do this knowing that was the reason I was buying the gun?
Paulownian
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Sounds like an unfortunate deal! If it's unaltered, though, you should be able to get your money back on the WTS forum here or on one of the auction sites. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
sunday bill
Beginner

Post by sunday bill »

paulownian,

When I saw your post, it crossed my mind that someone may have misled you. I feel the boys on the SASS Wire got it about right. The seller MAY not have known the rule change and it IS a heckuva shotgun.

However, if he DID know about the rule change, then a rope might be in order. :D

BTW, that's me that just announced on the Wire that one of our bachelor shooters got hitched tonight.

I sincerely hope you can put this out of the way and enjoy CAS.
paulownian
Beginner

Post by paulownian »

I'll enjoy if it's the last thing I do! Thanks,
Paulownian
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
sunday bill
Beginner

Let us know

Post by sunday bill »

Let us know the results.
paulownian
Beginner

Last remarks on this whole 1898 suspension thing

Post by paulownian »

I did speak with the seller of the Marlin 1898 12 ga. He assures me that he has had no problems with shooting it at his local SASS events. He also states that he knows nothing about suspension of the shotgun. Having recently shot the gun with AA Target Loads with no problems, he is convinced there would be no problem. This is due also to the fact that the gun has been rework for SASS shooting, i.e. a complete cowboy action job, tightened and headspace set, lengthened forcing cone and chamber, barrel cut to 20" and tru-choke tubes installed. He is convinced this is a smooth cowboy competition shotgun. After all of the discussion on this and the SASS forum, I'm convinced he is a reputable firearms dealer and is selling me a great gun. My local club has assured me that it will not be a problem, and I have contacted sellers to purchase the proper gun for my shooting needs. Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents.
Paulownian
SASS Member
NSCA Member
Former USAF
Join & Support the NRA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Paulownian;

The fact that your Model 1898 shotgun has been "tuned" up to shoot in the CAS or SASS meets means nothing. These old guns have internal problems that is getting them outlawed from the events. If EVERYTHING is not correct internally, they will let the breech bolt fly upon firing. Think about where your head is when you shoot this thing in relation to the breech bolt.
This internal system has had problems, but can be fixed. There are internal springs that make it lock up correctly and make it safe to shoot. If any of the internals fail, then it cannot lock up properly, and that is when it is unsafe. Many times, in competition, to get a quicker shot off, some guys keep their finger on the trigger, and it the gun is not locked up properly, then look out......
Check with the SASS website to see what they are saying about the Marlin and it's use in competition. The higher ups do not want it used and have outlawed it. There will come a time when the National organization will make the state organizations comply to prevent lawsuits.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I agree with Rick... there's a reason Marlin went through quite an evolution with their hammer pump shotguns - they had recurring problems that took several models to cure. The earliest ( the 1898) are the worst.

The locking mechanism and 'fail safe' for hang fires work well when new but easily come out of adjustment and are prone to fail. Proceed with caution here.

I also retract what I said about being able to sell you shotgun and recover your money - with the altered barrel, it has little or no collector interest, and the on-going controversy over its use at SASS matches might well stymie any sales that way, too. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!