"As new" Model 93

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marauder
Beginner

"As new" Model 93

Post by marauder »

I need some help on this one. gunbroker.com auction # 58102604 I am not a seasoned veteran when it comes to collecting the older stuff but it looks good to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Marauder;

This is a very late Marlin Model '93. From the pictures, it appears to be one of those late guns seen often in the northeasten area and was made for the J.F. Galef Company of New York. These guns have the top, rear portion of the lever rounded off. Note, it has rifle style sights and not carbine sights too. This gun would have been made in about 1935.
It appears to be original, but I do not like the case-colors on the lever. It may be correct for the Galef guns, but it does not match the rest of the gun in my opinion.
I hope this helps.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with Rick's comments, but I wouldn't let the difference in case color on the lever be a show stopper. It's not unusual for the different metals on the lever to take case colors differently, and also the late guns just ddn't get the same attention early guns got.
Just my opinion. I will say that's a lot of money for a late gun.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Marlin 93

Post by Don Anderson »

I'll agree with Marlinman 93 about the color on the lever. Late model guns did not have the quality of matching colors on the levers that early models did. Also, I feel this rifle is way over priced.
Don
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

That lever is correct, I own several late Marlins with rounded levers and they all have that characteristic wavey case color that isn't real pretty. I don't know how Marlin did it, but it was a different process than the frames, as it seems to still be there even on a gray frame gun, so it was durable if not real pretty. However, the guy wants too much for the gun. I don't think it is worth anywhere near that, maybe 1/2 of what he is asking if that.