1894 Marlin

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Elfelfbabi@aol.com

1894 Marlin

Post by Elfelfbabi@aol.com »

Great site fellas!!

Just stumbled across this site this evening, and after reading yalls forums,I have a couple questions. I own an 1894CS in >38/>357 that I dearly love, except when I shoot lead through it, it fouls quickly and accuracy goes to pot. Yes, it is the old Micro Groove, and yes, I know they now come from the factory with Ballard-type rifling. My question is, at the risk of sounding "out of the loop" From what I saw in your forums, there are now aftermarket companies out there that sell hex bbls.Are they Ballard cut?If so, anyone out there who has had this conversion done give me some feedback as to how they shoot, accuracy,price, and dealers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The micro-groove barrels can be made to shoot cast bullets accurately. Slug your bore & buy or cast bullets a couple thousandths over that. I have good results with hard cast, gas checked bullets from http://www.proshootpro.com I've never had a rebarreling job done. SW
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You need to keep the velocites down, and use hard cast bullets, to get good accuracy, without leading in the Micro-Groove barrels. They will shoot well if this is done.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!