Pre-WWII Single Trigger Marlin Model 90's

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Pre-WWII Single Trigger Marlin Model 90's

Post by BarkeyVA »

I recently acquired a pre-WWII 16 ga. Model 90 ST (based on the bird dog scene stamped on the frame it was made in 1939-'41) serial no. 39XX, with a non-selective single trigger that is a differnet configuration than the trigger on my Skeetking or on the standard production Model 90ST's produced in 1954 and later. Photos of my Skeetking non-selective trigger, my pre-war 16 ga. Model 90 and a 1954 16 ga. Model 90 ST with internals were posted by Reseacher on the 16 ga. web site at http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9570.

According to Brophy, Model 90 price lists showed a single trigger Model 90 being offered in 1940 (Nov), 1941 and 1945. Brophy wrote that, "Curtis, Cowe and Lard selective and Romberg and Peterson nonselective single triggers were evaluated. The Romberg non-selective trigger was the one finally adopted by Marlin and the only one produced." That would suggest that the Romberg trigger was used on standard production Model 90ST's. However, as you can see from the photos posted Reseacher on the 16ga. site, the trigger shape, location and internal features of the 1954 ST look nothing like my other two single trigger Model 90's. Note that the inertial weight on my Skeetking ST is a different shape and in a different position that the 1954 model 90 ST. Also note that the pre-war Model 90 ST does not have an inertia weight.

Acording to Reseacher, Miller did install some of his UNMARKED triggers on Ithaca NID's for Ithaca in the mid-1920's to about 1931 or '32. He also said that he had read where a few of the Skeetkings had a Miller trigger. However, Dan May at the Miller Single Trigger Company said that, while the Millers did a number of one-off jobs, with the exception of the contract with Ithaca, the Millers were very reluctant to install their triggers unmarked. Dan also said that he could not find any references to Marlin in the files or patents or the Marlin tags on any of their tooling and fixtures.

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, single triggers and internals like the ones on my Skeetking and my pre-war Model 90? Anyone have information or a reference to patents covering the Romberg trigger? Anyone aware of other makers of non-selective trigger conversions that might have been used on early Model 90's?
BarkeyVA