New to me Marlin Model 43 12GA pump

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

AdioSS
Beginner

New to me Marlin Model 43 12GA pump

Post by AdioSS »

Beside my Mossberg Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel and Blackhawk stock.

When taken down with a standard ruler thrown in for scale.

This is my first online firearm purchase. I found it on gunbroker.com when looking for take-down 12 gauge pump shotguns. On another forum, a guy took pictures of his Winchester Model 12 with a 20" barrel packed into a normal looking traveling case. After seeing that, I decided that I wanted something similar that I could keep in my truck under the back seat, that wouldn't take up much space and wouldn't draw attention like even a Pistol Grip Only Short Barrel Shotgun could. My original plan was to cut the barrel down to just over 18" (which would be almost flush with the front of the magazine tube), but now I am hesitant to cut this barrel. It is actually in very good condition for a nearly 90 year old gun. I know about the Bulletin that Marlin sent out, but these guns worked then and they still work now. I keep Winchester 00 Buck loaded in my Mav88, but I am also hesitant to use that in this. Instead, I may just switch to low recoil rounds.

I am going to have to do something about the buttpad because there pretty much isn't one left. I am considering cutting down the butt a bit to reduce Length Of Pull and overall length.

Oh yeah, when I got it, it still had the wooden dowel rod in the magazine that limits the capacity to 2+1 shells for hunting. After taking that out, it now holds 6+1 rounds of 2.75" shells (which is 1 more than my Mossberg) or 5+1 3" shells. :twisted: I am also considering adding something to allow me to store it in broken down condition, but with the magazine fully loaded. Maybe even something to lock down the action tube so it doesn't move around when in Taken-Down condition.

I just can't ever seem to leave well enough alone with any of my toys. My old 96 Impala SS went from running 15.2@92mph to 12.9@102.6 with bolt-ons, my truck has a few modifications, and each of the firearms that I purchased has been modified in some way. I haven't messed with the pair of .22s that I inherited from my Papaw, but I really want to. I am very tempted to pull the barrel off the Winchester1906 and replace it with an integrally suppressed barrel and extending the magazine tube to hold more ammo. Heck, I have considered considered doing the same with this 12 gauge's barrel... If only I still worked at a machine shop.