Hammer shotgun model and stock premium offer

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

hammertime
Beginner

Hammer shotgun model and stock premium offer

Post by hammertime »

Greetings.

I have an old Hammer style shotgun like the model 24 but without any grooves in the fore grip. I have the green canvas bag to go with it.
At the front of the magazine tube the tube is knurled and has the button to rotate foreward and lock with the "button". If you say it is just a late model 24, that is fine, there were just a few asthetic differences.

It was told to me that back around 1928-32 or so, the Marlin company would give you a shotgun with the purchase of so many shares of stock.
Can anyone confirm this? That is what this gun was represented to me as - a stock premium gun.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Hammer shotgun model and stock premium offer

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hammertime;

Marlin did offer an exposed hammer pump action shotgun on the stock offer. It was the Model 49, and should be so marked on the upper tang, behind the hammer. The Model 49 had the takedown system like you describe, like the early style takedown system, but had the later style hang fire safety release, down by the trigger guard.
The Model 49 had a small diamond shaped checkered area on the butt stock grip and the forearm. The is also a small "hump" on the top of the receiver that the other Marlin pump action shotguns do not have.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
hammertime
Beginner

Post by hammertime »

Thank you. I guess I couldn't find my glasses if they were on top of my head. Model 49 plain as day when you look.
any idea on the value with the canvas gun bag? Looks to be all original with no refinishing. I would give it VG, the blueing is worn in some spots but definitely not abused. I had this for about 30 years and need to make room in my safe.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hammertime;

The canvas case may or may not be original to the gun. Marlin offered canvas carrying cases at one time, but they were not green in color, more of a tan color.
I really hate to estimate the value of a gun described as VG, without seeing it. There have been several Model 49's listed on Gun Broker lately, you may want to check there to see if any have sold, and what for as well compare the overall condition.
I have a virtually like new Model 49, and I paid a preimun (about $700.00) for it since it was so nice. A very good gun will be about half or less, depending upon the condition of wood and metal.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.