marlin model 16 whats it worth??

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

redteamgo2000
Beginner

marlin model 16 whats it worth??

Post by redteamgo2000 »

i got this gun on a trade and it took forever to figure out what it was. finally thanks to this site i figured it out. now i just need to know what its worth since i cant find any on the net for sale or locally. blueing is in great to perfect shape. wood is the same. bore is clean and nice still with very mininal pitting. it is an A grade gun in almost new condition. has been very well taken care of and is shootable because the guy fired it before i got it. all safety checks were good and i would like to find out the value.

redteamgo2000
Beginner

Re: marlin model 16 whats it worth??

Post by redteamgo2000 »

huh i see those pics arent the best. stupid camera phones. i can get better if needed?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Redteam2000;

Frankly, this is one of those guns that needs to be examined first hand. The pictures just are not good enough to tell if this is the original finish or if it has been refinished. There are people out there good enough to fool others about the finish, and I would not even try to guess if this is original finish from these pictures. If you can get better pictures, I would suggest it.
I do not know where you are from, but the Tulsa gun show is coming up, and that would be a great place to take it for a first hand examination.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
redteamgo2000
Beginner

Post by redteamgo2000 »

im in indiana and it appears to be original but like you said its hard to know for sure. it is a lower serial number gun 95141 on the reciever which i know doesnt help. the hammer does have a patina on it where its changing colors. i just wish there was more info on these guns or people knew what the *beep* it was. i took it to 3 guns stores and they all said beats me ill give you a $100 for it if you want to sell it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Redteamgo2000;

If it is original finish, it is worth far more than that!!! The serial number is just a little to high to check against the old Marlin factory records as they end at 67,000. I have been collecting the old Marlin hammer type, pump action shotguns for a while, and have a very nice Model 16, "B" grade gun.
If you could post some better pictures, it would help. I usually advise people to take pictures outside, in natural light. It tends to show things better than some artificial light does.

redteamgo2000
Beginner

Post by redteamgo2000 »

well if it stops raining ill try to get some better pics
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Redteamgo2000;

Okay, we will be waiting for the new photographs. In the mean time, we can tell you that the Marlin Model 16 was made from 1903 to 1910. Your serial number seems to be in about the middle of the observed serial number range. Although, this really does not mean a lot since the serial numbers of the exposed, pump action shotgun models were intermixed, just like the lever action rifle serial numbers, which does not help to determine just how many were actually made.
An "A" grade Model 16 first sold for $25.00 in 1903, and the price came down to $23.25 by 1910.