Marlin model 16?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rigged
Beginner

Marlin model 16?

Post by rigged »

Hello,

I posted some questions over on another site and they recommended that I post over here.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 730.0.html

Would you guys agree that this is a Model 16 Grade C? I'm trying to determine a value (I know, I know...and I hate to ask) and if I want to sell it.

Thanks much!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 16?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rigged;

Yes, that is a Marlin Model 16, C Grade shotgun. The Model 16 was made from 1903 to 1910 in the A, B. C and D grades. The serial number would tend to indicate it could have been made around 1909 or so.
Now, from the pictures and your description, I see a couple of problems that will tend to hold the value down. The grip cap is not original. Marlin did not use a hard rubber grip cap on guns of that era. Someone has cut the original flat "S" bottom of the grip off and installed the grip cap. Not good.......
You say the barrel is 24 1/2 inches long, and that would tend to indicate that the barrel has been cut off as the Model 16, C grade was offered with either a 26 or 28 inch barrel. No Marlin shotgun was offered with a 24 1/2 inch barrel. The shortest was the 20 inch on the riot versions. The next shortest was the 26 inch barrel. Barrels were made up to 32 inches in length. I see that you have a cylinder bore choke indicated by the "C" next to the barrel serial number.
In 1909, a Marlin Model 16, C Grade gun sold for $43.00. Except for the problems mentioned, you have a very nice shotgun. I would hesitate to guess a value at this time because of the problems. It is very hard to say what effect those problems would have to some other collector and how it would affect the value. Certainly, I would estimate it in the $1,000.00 range at this time. Any more? Maybe, but......you would have to find the right guy that wanted it. Good luck....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rigged
Beginner

Post by rigged »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Rigged;

Yes, that is a Marlin Model 16, C Grade shotgun. The Model 16 was made from 1903 to 1910 in the A, B. C and D grades. The serial number would tend to indicate it could have been made around 1909 or so.
Now, from the pictures and your description, I see a couple of problems that will tend to hold the value down. The grip cap is not original. Marlin did not use a hard rubber grip cap on guns of that era. Someone has cut the original flat "S" bottom of the grip off and installed the grip cap. Not good.......
You say the barrel is 24 1/2 inches long, and that would tend to indicate that the barrel has been cut off as the Model 16, C grade was offered with either a 26 or 28 inch barrel. No Marlin shotgun was offered with a 24 1/2 inch barrel. The shortest was the 20 inch on the riot versions. The next shortest was the 26 inch barrel. Barrels were made up to 32 inches in length. I see that you have a cylinder bore choke indicated by the "C" next to the barrel serial number.
In 1909, a Marlin Model 16, C Grade gun sold for $43.00. Except for the problems mentioned, you have a very nice shotgun. I would hesitate to guess a value at this time because of the problems. It is very hard to say what effect those problems would have to some other collector and how it would affect the value. Certainly, I would estimate it in the $1,000.00 range at this time. Any more? Maybe, but......you would have to find the right guy that wanted it. Good luck....
Thanks for the helpful info, Regnier!

One followup question to your post...not knowing much about shot guns -- or even guns in general -- I measured the visible part of the barrel. Is it reasonable to assume that 1.5" (or 3.5") is engaged within the shot gun? I haven't taken it apart, and don't plan to do so.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rigged;

Your Marlin Model 16 is a takedown action, but if you have never taken a Marlin shotgun down before, it is quite an experience at first.
I checked one of my shotguns to see how much of the barrel extended into the receiver, and it is only 3/4 of an inch. That would make your barrel 25 1/4 inches.
If you really want to know your barrel length, stick a cleaning rod down the barrel to the breech bolt face, mark it at the muzzle, remove it and measure from the end to the rod to the mark.
Looking forward to your response.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

One other note; the buttstock has another modification. The area around the pistol grip has been reworked to exaggerate the pistol grip. The comb has a lot of drop in front of it, and doesn't look like what these guns were from the factory. Not as obvious as the grip cap, band nicely done, but a little ding in the value.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!