Marlin Model 30

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tommy
Beginner

Marlin Model 30

Post by Tommy »

I have a 16 gauge pump model 30 shot gun. I can not find any kind of value or information about it. The only thing I found by serial number was the manufacture date. This gun is in like new condition. My uncle left it too me and I know for sure it has not been fired in at least the last 45 years, he did not think it had ever been fired and the inside of the barrel is perfect. It is engraved on both sides.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tommy;

The Marlin Model 30-16 was made from 1911 to 1917. It was offered in four grades, the standard or "A" grade. There was the "B" grade that had a Special Smokeless Steel Barrel with checkered and a little nicer wood. Then there is the "C" grade that that had even nicer wood, fancier checking, a Special Smokeless Steel Barrel and factory engraving on the receiver. The last, and best grade is the "D" grade that had fancy checkered Circassian walnut stocks, a Damascus barrel, gold plated trigger and screws, and more and fancier factory engraving on the receiver.
If your receiver is engraved, it will be either the C or D grade guns, which are worth a preimum to collectors. Would need to know which grade of gun you have to help establish a value.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Tommy
Beginner

Post by Tommy »

Thank You for your response. From the way it sounds my gun would be a C grade. The only thing it does not have is the gold trim. I am considering selling it but I have no idea of what to ask for it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tommy;

Frankly, I really hate to see family pieces go outside the family. Is there no one else in your family that would like to have your uncles fine Marlin shotgun?
Value is determined by the overall condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. In this case, the extra grade will add to the value. Knowledgeable people need to examine your piece to determine what it could be worth. I just looked at another Marlin shotgun on another website that was supposed to be really nice, but after looking at pictures of it, there were problems that affect the overall value.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.