Help with info on my old Marlin 20 ga. over under

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Edwierdo
Beginner

Help with info on my old Marlin 20 ga. over under

Post by Edwierdo »

Hey guys,

Im a new member and I have a very old Marlin 20 ga. over/under Model 90. Serial is G1331, 2 trigger. The gun is light and barrel is short. Looks like a quail gun to me. Im looking for info on the year it was made and if its worth anything. Gun is in great condition for the year. Im thinking its about 1950 or so. Anyone interested? Looking to upgrade my deer rifle to a 308 or 30/30 for bush hunting here in Florida. Thanks for any help in advance. Great forum by the way.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Help with info on my old Marlin 20 ga. over under

Post by BarkeyVA »

The G serial number indicates it was made in 1950. Apparently, there were relatively fewer 20 ga. Model 90's made with 26" barrels (generally choked IC/Mod). Consequently, some folks are willing to pay more for them. There are no records on the actual number of 20 ga. Model 90's made with 26" barrels from 1937 to 1952. However, according to Brophy, only 530 were made between 1952 and 1957.

About 1-1/2 years ago, I was lucky to find one (made between 1939-41 based on the bird dog "engraving" on the receiver) that I bought for $375, including shipping, from a Florida pawn shop. I'm stating the obvious, but what you might be able to sell yours for will depend on it's overall condition and how much the right buyer is willing to pay.

You are right about it being a nice quail gun.
BarkeyVA