Re: Marlin Hammer Pump Shotgun Disassembly in Pictures

Post by bussdaddy »

I hope these pics help you, help me ha
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bussdaddy;

Well............I cannot tell if this is a takedown action from the pictures. I can see that it has the later style foream with the metal caps on each end. This style forearm was not used on the Models 17 and 26. The Model 21 was to early for that style forearm, so the forearm wood may be a replacement as it does not appear to match in color or finish to the buttstock.
If it is not a takedown action, with the push button style "hang fire safety release", then this is a Model 17. The Model 26 utilized the later style "hang fire safety release" system with the lever near the trigger.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
bussdaddy
Beginner

Post by bussdaddy »

The pics did not turn out the best. Ok, thank you for your time and knowledge. It's nice to finally have clarification on this nice old gun.
LeftyDon
Beginner

Post by LeftyDon »

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, Marlin 43 12 gauge & Glenfield .22LR Semi
Bob Smalser
Beginner

Post by Bob Smalser »

This gun is for sale on Gunbroker as a "Marlin Model 30G".
Bob
harrythehat
Beginner

Post by harrythehat »

Hi I'm Harry from Pa.
I'm contacting you , because I saw the photos of your post on how to take a part this gun.
Which looks very similar to the two guns i just got a hold of.
I have 2 Vintage marlin Visible pump 12 ga. shot guns
The Numbers I have found are 1908 1909 .
What appears to be on trigger guard of one is 28CC
and 6573 appears on the other.
Neither gun has the hammer drop or hammer lock safety. I have one working good and need to figure out how to dissasemble the other. I'm "Compu stupid". I can send a photo via email, but can't attach a photo file in this forum.
Sorry.
Would love any help . My email is hba1988@verizon.net
harrythehat
Beginner

Post by harrythehat »

HI Bob It's harry again. My friend fat Freddy is running and teaching me computer. SO I'd like to say.
her's my home phone number 1-717-652-6104 . And if you would like to call. i'd lo9ve to be able to ask you questions about this gun.
Also if you DO have any information / photos, tear down info. or what ever. I would love if you could send me copies. I don't have a printer and am just learning how to run the computer.
I would be grateful and more than willing top pay costs to ship or mail.
We can discuss that over the phone.
I'm a 67 year old VET retired and 3rd generation machinist. as well as a avid shooter and hunter.
OKAY this is fat freddy writting for HARRY. I'll be around his place foer a week or so teaching him. But trust me I'm much faster on the computer than he is.
he's great people and has great integrity.
I'm an artist and basically don't know crap about guns.
goatfarmer
Beginner

Post by goatfarmer »

I have a marlin Mod 42 It was tore down to reblue. To Install the barrel do I need to worry about headspace. Is there any good books on this gun I should buy.
squirrelman
Beginner

Post by squirrelman »

Bob,

I recently acquired a Marlin Hammer Pump with the last patent date of 1896 and receiver serial number 29925 and barrel serial number of 29366. The ejector is broken and the extractor appears to have been filed. Is there anyone in the Houston, Sugar Land, Rosenberg area that has experience or you would recommend to work on this model shotgun. Except for the bluing gone, the stock and other metal parts appear to be in working order.

Thanks, Jim
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jim;

Your Marlin Model 1898 with the serial number 29925 was shipped in early 1902 with the barrel serial number you listed.
So long as the barrel is still 30 inches long, your gun is as it was shipped.
First off, you need to find the parts that need replacing. If you cannot find the parts you need, let me know as I have a good supply of shotgun internal parts on hand and may have them. To repair the extractor and ejector, all that is necessary is to open the action, take out the carrier screw and move the forearm back forward about one inch so that the carrier will drop out the bottom of the receiver. The breech bolt can then be removed and the extractor changed out and a new ejector installed.
I do not know of any gunsmiths in the Houston area, but you might contact Collectors Firearms there in Houston and ask them if they have a gunsmith they work with.
Good luck..........

Capn_Bubba
Beginner

Post by Capn_Bubba »

I have a model ??? serial number 35150 . Nothing on tang,What model is this, it says nothing on the Barrel about Smokeless Powder, No Model number, has a round button on the of the Hammer, and bar of metal on the left side over the top of the bolt. I can't get the bolt to open, when I go try to remove the barrel, the slide rod doesn't seem to release forward far enough to clear the receiver so the barrel can turn, any suggestions. I tried to upload pictures, but couldn't figure out how to.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Capn_Bubba;

Your shotgun, by serial number is an "A" Grade, Model 1898, shipped from the factory in mid-1902. The shotgun left the factory with a 30 inch barrel, number 37204. The "A" Grade guns did not have Special Smokeless Steel barrels, only the "B" Grade and "C" Grade guns had the SSS barrels. The "D" Grade guns usually had a Damascus barrel.
The button on the side of the receiver is the Hang Fire Safety Release. You have to push this button in, in order to open the action if it has not been fired.
To take the action down, you have to push the safety release first, move the pump handle back slightly until a notch in the forearm slide lines up with the lever that is in a notch in the side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. Tip the lever out into the notch in the slide, then move the pump handle forward until the slide clears the receiver. Push the button on the end of the magazine tube and slide the magazine tube forward to clear the receiver. Now you can unscrew the barrel, noting that the barrel threads are LEFT hand threads.
Good luck........

Fairview
Beginner

Post by Fairview »

Regnier,

I just acquired a Marlin 1898 from a friend of mine on a farm in Jewell County KS. Serial number on gun is 14626 and barrel 14992. Do you know approximately when this gun was manufactured? Thank you
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Fairview;

The shotgun records start with 19,601 in April of 1901. So, we can estimate your gun with a serial number approximately 5,000 under that at about sometime in 1900.

RDB
Beginner

Post by RDB »

I down loaded marlin hammer pump shotgun disassembly in picture, but I can not
get the picture?
RDB help?
Last edited by RDB on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.