Engraved Model 90 Skeetking

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jack Lawman
Beginner

Engraved Model 90 Skeetking

Post by Jack Lawman »

Just came across up a Marlin Model 90. I believe it is a "Skeeting". Matching serial numbers (8xxx), closed space between barrels, double triggers (blued), and "ReadHead" recoil pad. High grade, hand checkered walnut stock. Engraving of quail on one side, pheasant on other. Light scroll engraving in corners. "CHARLES NICKLER" engraved across trigger guard. Any chance this is factory engraved?

Thanks,
Jack
Last edited by Jack Lawman on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Engraved Model 90 Skeeting

Post by BarkeyVA »

Jack,

Skeetkings were special order guns only offered in 1939 and 1940. Skeetkings have an "S" stamped above the numbers like so:

S
8xxx

My skeetking (6xxx) also has the "S" stamped along with the numbers in all 4 locations.

I'm not aware of Skeetkings having game birds engraved on the sides. There is an article about Skeetkings with excellent photos in the 2009 Summer edition (Issue 2) of Double Gun Journal (Page 83). The fact that your gun has a name engraved on the trigger would suggest that it is aftermarket. However, I have a Skeetking with the initials AA engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard. The engraving is more elaborate than the Skeetking in the article. However, the style is similar and some of the patterns are identical. No real proof, but it suggests to me that my Skeetking might have been engraved at the factory.

Send some photos to me at bmarten6@cox.net, and I'd be happy to compare the engraving with the factory-engraved Skeetking in the DGJ article and with my gun and let you know what I think.
BarkeyVA
Jack Lawman
Beginner

Re: Engraved Model 90 Skeetking

Post by Jack Lawman »

Barrel is 30". Pics:

Jack
Jack Lawman
Beginner

Engraved Skeetking: Pics posted

Post by Jack Lawman »

Pics posted.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Jack,

The serial number and the web between the barrels indicate that it was made prior to WWII. The wood is a high grade similar to my Skeetking. However, I do not think your gun is a Skeetking. There is no "S" in the serial number and the checkering on the stock and forearm is a different pattern than original Skeetkings. Also the very nice hand engraving is a different style and pattern than on factory engraved Skeetkings. It may be a special presentation gun or Mr. Nickler may have had the gun engraved and re-fitted with the fancy wood. Regardless, you have a beautiful gun! Is it a 12 ga? Have you shot it?

I've forward the photos to a friend who is more familiar with Model 90's than I to get his opinion.
BarkeyVA
Jack Lawman
Beginner

Post by Jack Lawman »

The shotgun is 12 ga, it has 30" barrels. I have not shot it. I originally bought it to shoot, but I'm not sure now. My only real concern is the Redhead pad. It looks like it won't take much anymore. Maybe I'll put a new pad on (using same screw pattern and no sanding). I'll save the redhead pad if I want to sell it as a collector's item.

I cannot find an indication of how it's choked. There is a "JM" in an oval and an "X" in a box as proofs on the barrel. I removed the fore end... it is numbered to the gun. I'm not sure I want to mess with removing the stock, the redhead pad looks fragile. Is it easy to remove the barrels from the receiver?

From what I can find on the net, I believe the gun is custom from Marlin. The only thing that may or may not be from Marlin is the engraving.

Is it true that all Skeetkings were custom order? This may be a custom order in the Skeetking line, but with fuller chokes and trap length barrel (30"). Looking forward to any opinions. Thanks.

Jack
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Jack,

Chokes are not marked on Model 90's. The only way to tell is to measure them or pattern it. Marlin Model 90's, including the Skeetking, are described in some detail by Lt. Col. William S. Brophy in his book, Marlin Firearms, a History of the Guns and the Company that Made Them, published in 1989 by Stackpole Books. It is out of print but is is often for sale on eBay, and you might be able to get a copy to read through inter-library loan.

Skeet kings were available with 26 or 28" barrels with chokes adjusted to give the best pattern at 20 yards with the bottom barrel and 30 yards with the top barrel. However, because they were special order guns, it is possible that one could have been ordered with 30" barrels. My Skeetking has 28" barrels with chokes that measure Full and IM.

The Model 90 is easy to break down. The forearm is held onto the barrels with a spring clip. I stand the gun on the floor with the end of the butt stock against my foot. I hold onto the top of the barrels with one hand and pull hard on the top of the forearm with the other hand. With the forearm removed, open the gun and lift the barrel assemebly out of the receiver.
BarkeyVA