Model 30G

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Model 30G

Post by Mike Faires »

I have a Model 30G in 20 guage serial # 535X. Another poster in the for sale area has one and he stated " this is one of 150 to 200 made". I have Col. Brophy's book and after a review of this model I have the following questions.
(1) The book seems to say that this should be marked "Model 30-20" as I stated mine is marked "Model 30G". Which is correct?
(2) The book states that rather than mearly rebarrel the 16 guage to 20 guage they down scaled the entire gun. Is it logical that after all the manufacturing set up time that only 150 - 200 units were produced?
(3) Mine has a piece of wood for a stock that some obviously fabricated from a 4x4 (just kidding) it does look like a keel boat rudder, then they inset a Morgon silver dollar on each side. So much for taste. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement stock and if so would it be worth the time and effort. This basically a brown gun.

Thanks in advance for the great answers and wealth of knowledge I have come to expect on this site.

Mike Faires
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 30G

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

The Model 30G marking is correct. For identification purposes, Brophy listed the Model 30 in 20 gauge as the 30-20 to differentiate the information regarding the 20 gauge from the Model 30 in 16 gauge.
The Model 30 is a smaller frame than the 12 gauge guns. (as is the Model 16 in 16 gauge)
I do not know where anyone gets manufacturing production numbers as there are no records for any shotguns made after about 1904. The Model 30 (and variations) was a full production gun and they are out there, you just have to look for them. Certainly more than 200!
Precision Gun Stocks of Kerrville, Texas makes a buttstock for the Model 1898 shotgun, and it may be able to be made fit the Model 30. If you have a 12 gauge shotgun, you might be able to see if the buttstock off of it will fit the 16 gauge gun. The website for Precision Gun Stocks is www.precisiongunstocks.com
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.