Pre-War-Model 90ST??

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Pre-War-Model 90ST??

Post by BarkeyVA »

Brophy writes that Marlin introduced the Model 90 ST in 1953/54. However, I have what Cornell Publications sold as a reprint of the Marloin 1941 gun Catalog. In it is an illustration of a Model 90 ST (early version) and the write-up would lead one to believe that the ST was available.

However, the initial paragraph in the assumed 1941 catalog starts out with the statement,"long life, safety,accurate and dependable performance have featured Marlin Guns for 77 years." it's my understanding that Marlin company started in 1870. 1870 plus 77 is 1947. On the other hand, 1941 minus 77 would be 1864. According to Brophy, John Marlin was listed as pistol maker in the 1864 New Haven City Directory

Does anyone have an original 1941 Gun Catalog to verify that it shows the Model 90 ST?
BarkeyVA
cornellpubs
Beginner

Re: Pre-War-Model 90ST??

Post by cornellpubs »

The 90ST was introduced in 1953. We made an error dating the Marlin 1941 catalog. It is not 1941, it is a post '52 catalog and we will correct the error and refund Barry's money. Sorry about the confusion. Abby
cornellpubs
Beginner

Post by cornellpubs »

Ok, I have to fess up to the picture with the 77 years statement. The "1941" Marlin catalog was a photocopy and the photographs were dreadful so I substituted the pictures from a 1947 catalog not picking up the error of dates. I am now shamefaced and will never do such a thing again. Sorry one more time. Abby at cornellpubs.com
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

I had an interesting phone conversation with Robert Mouat at Cornell Publications today. He said that they looked at the original scan of the 1941 catalog for which they subsituted the page from the 1947 catalog because the illustrations were the same. They missed the fact that the write-up was different. He says that the page from the 1941 catalog has "-for 71 years" in the write up (1870 + 71 + 1941)and the illustrations include one of a Model 90 ST! He is sending me a copy of their originally scanned page from the 1941 catalog.

He said that they used a photocopy of the 1941 catalog they got from a extremely reliable source who was "very meticulous" in his documemntation. Based on Cornell's previous history with that source, he thinks the "original" photocopy of the 1941 catalog is authentic.

Robert indicated that the Model 90 ST is "perplexing" because it apparently also shows up in the 1952 Marlin Catalog as well. He commented that Cornell wants to get things right and not be a purveyor of incorrect information.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

I have a 16 ga. Model 90 Skeetking with a single trigger (Skeetkings were special order guns offered in 1939-1940).

Seems like every time I re-read the section about Model 90's in Brophy's book, I gain additional insight about the guns. Borphy listed retail prices for Model 90's on page 419. Model 90 ST prices are listed in Nov. 1940, 1941, Nov. 1941 and 1945. Prices for Skeetkings are listed for 1939, 1940 and Nov. 1940. This suggests that my ST Skeetking could have been assembled at the factory rather than being an aftermarket conversion.

However, the design and location of the inertia weight and the shape and location of the trigger on my gun are completely different from the 1954 and later Model 90 ST's. So, I still wonder if it is an after market conversion.

I've asked this question before: Does anyone know how to identify a Miller trigger? I've looked but I can't see any markings.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Regarding the question on how to identify a Miller non-selective trigger, I posed the same question on another web site and got feedback from two people indicating that Miller triggers are marked with "Miller" on the trigger blade just below the trigger plate that is visible with the gun assembled. One provided the following link on gunbroker showing an example example of the Miller marking:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... 393908#PIC

Another individual said that he has an Ithaca 410 with a Miller non-selective trigger that is marked in the exact same spot. Consequently, I'm confident that my ST skeetking does not have a Miller trigger and that it is likely that my ST Skeetking was assembled at the factory.
BarkeyVA