Glenfield Model 50- 12 GA

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

prplflh71
Beginner

Glenfield Model 50- 12 GA

Post by prplflh71 »

I've had this gun for many years. It was found by my step dad disassembled, rusted, decaying and left for trash by a renter of a mobile home my mother and step father owned in a park they also owned.

My step father gave it to me as a joke in a box, after cleaning out the rest of the abandoned contents of the home. This *beep* my real dad off, who in turn refurbished the entire gun and stock for me. It's not perfect, but I'm not ashamed of it either.

I've Googled the model 50 and have found next to nothing. A few things I'd like to know;

Where is the seriel number located? The exterior has no markings other than the top of the barrell "GLENFIELD MODEL 50-12 GA The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn, USA". Just at the base of the barrell near the edge of the stock is some type of proof mark. It's difficult to make out and appears to be double stamped with maybe the letter M in an oval.

Does anyone know of a resource for an owner's manual or at least disassembly/reassembly instructions? I've cleaned the bore and chamber, but would like to take the action down for a thorough cleaning.

What time frame was the model 50 made? Assuming there is a serial number covered by the stock somewhere, I'd start disassembling to find it, but would rather have instructions first.

Any help?

Thanks,

Brian
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Glenfield Model 50- 12 GA

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brian;

The Marlin Glenfield Model 50 was made from 1966 to 1973. If you do not see a serial number, then it probably made between 1966 and 1968. Many of Marlin's less expensive guns were not serialized before 1968. After passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968, all firearms were required to have serial numbers and records maintained.
The Model 50 is the same gun as the Marlin Model 55 (which was made in several variations) and you should be able to get a copy of the owners manual for the Model 55 from the Marlin Firearms Company. Go to www.marlinfireams.com then click on the FAQ's icon. Scroll down to "Owners Manual" and follow instructions on ordering a copy. Or, you might find a reproduction on eBay.
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
prplflh71
Beginner

Re: Glenfield Model 50- 12 GA

Post by prplflh71 »

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Brian