1898 trap gun? trench gun?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

redhedrednek
Beginner

1898 trap gun? trench gun?

Post by redhedrednek »

I picked up a "marlin trap gun" according to the markings on the frame just behind the hammer. It definately has the look of being a 1898. There are a couple things that make me wonder about this piece however, the short barrel length and what has all of the characteristics of being a bayonet lug. The barrel is approximately 17 inches and the whole gun isnt much more than 30 inches overall length. An old timer saw me walking around with it at the gun show (moments after purchasing it) and said he was issued one back in "the war" and mentioned items refering to vietnam such as elephant grass. I would love to know what in the world i have acquired and to what its intended use was...trench gun, riot gun, police use, way ahead of its time home defense... The only markings on the entire weapon are the words Marlin trap gun and the serial number.

also i would like to know if or where i can get a new extractor because spent shells will not eject because the extractor is worn so bad it barely touches the shell let alone grab it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 trap gun? trench gun?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Redhedrednek;

The Marlin Trap Gun was not offered as a riot version. This was a relativity expensive gun as it had the checkered circasssian walnut stocks. Typically, the riot verions of any Marlin had a 20 inch barrel, not 17. Anything done to this Trap Gun is not factory. The Trap Guns were shipped with either a 26, 28, 30 or 32 inch barrels with a full choke. Look for the barrel serial number on the side of the barrel, usually behind the pump action arm. There will be a letter there along side of the number. If there is an "F", then is was a full choke barrel that was cut off. If you have a "C", that stands for cylinder bore, found on riot guns, then the barrel has been switched. Look at the patent dates and list all the patent dates you find on the barrel. Also, the Trap Guns were shipped with the Special Smokeless Steel barrels and are so marked. If this barrel does not have the SSS marking on the side of the barrel, then it has been switched. The Trap Gun will look like the Model 24 but with a straight grip stock instead of a pistol grip. The Model 1898 and Model 24 have different takedown systems. The Model 24 has the later, improved takedown system.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
redhedrednek
Beginner

Post by redhedrednek »

after reading your reply i found some numbering on the barrel and yes it does in fact say special smokeless steel. The barrel numbering appears to say 114560 which doesnt match the serial number on the frame (107493) there may be another digit that i cannot yet make out due to wear and bluing issues. I also found a full length field version of this weapon yesterday afternoon which i compared mine to. My gun has a different tube magazine and it appears to be very much heavier than the long barreled version. the end of the tube having the bayonet lug looking part still has me questioing what i have really got. Also in cleaning i came across some more labeling on the barrel, marin firearms...new haven.... and it lists patent dates of april 2 1889, nov 6 1894, may 12 1896, june 2 1896, nov 27 1900, mar 29 1904, and nov 29 1904.

thanks a lot for your info, i appreciate it a lot, and hope to find out more.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Redhedrednek;

The barrel serial number and the receiver serial number will not match. They almost never do on any model. The patent dates you list are for either the Model 19 or 21 shotguns. The Trap Gun is the updated version of the Model 21 with the straight grip and takedown action.
The thing on the end of the magazine tube you are looking at is part of the takedown system. You pinch the knob at the end of the tube then pull it straight out. Then you move the pump action arm forward to disconnect the action bar from the receiver and then you can unscrew the barrel, making note that the barrel threads are LEFT hand threads.
The "other digit" next to the serial number should be the choke marking. It will be either an "F" for full choke, an "M" for modified or a "C" for cylinder bore.
Your Trap Gun is 28 numbers higher than mine and the barrel number is 328 lower. My Trap Gun has a 30 inch Special Smokeless Steel barrel with a full choke as it should have.
I hope this helps.

redhedrednek
Beginner

Post by redhedrednek »

thanks a ton regnier.
that does very much help me to at least know what i have. its interesting that our guns were very likely shipped on the same truck being of such close serial number. Same production year would be one thing, but two meeting up out of nowhere that once were in the factory at the same time and perhaps even the same truck just blows my mind, especially after so much time. As such do you know a production date for yours? and a rough estimate of value (mine has apparently been chopped down by someone with a hacksaw many years ago and has some signs of abuse, scratches, dings in the metal of the frame, but still very functional nonetheless except for the extractor ( new one in the works at the machine shop at work...third shift has its advantages ) I paid $80 and am very satisfied with the purchase and plan to use it for three gun cowboy until i find a period winchester i can actually afford. (which will set well with the dakota 45, and the old winchester levergun) I would use my marlin model 30 but dont want to take it away from being the finest deer rifle ive ever touched and make it into a toy. Im rambling now so ill shut up and go to bed. Thanks again for the info.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Redhedrednek;

The Marlin Trap Gun was listed in the old Marlin catalogs from 1909 to 1913 and sold for $38.00 in 1909 and was reduced to $35.00 in the 1911 catalog.
I would estimate that these Trap Guns were made about 1909 according to the Marlin catalogs. The 1908 catalog states that Marlin had produced over 100,00 of the Marlin shotguns since they started production in 1898 so these would have to be about the first ones made with serial numbers as given.
Really hard to guess about value without actually seeing your shotgun. None the less, you got a very good deal at $80.00. If you watch, you might be able to find a correct barrel for it, and help the value a little. There are no records of these guns, so no one will know if it is the original barrel or not.
Good luck.......