Model 17 slide stop

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Model 17 slide stop

Post by Jim Susemihl »

I have a Model 17 that I bought less a bolt and carrier and which I have completed using spare parts that I had on hand. My question is what kind of stop does Marlin use in the Model 17 to keep the slide from going too far forward and the acutating rod from coming out of the action? In a book that I have the Gun Digest book of firearms assembly/disassembly part V shotguns they go thru a Model 26 and where it comes to taking the bolt out of the gun they say after removing the trigger plate and the hammer to use the action slide to move the bolt all the way to the rear and to disengage the bolt from the action slide and remove the bolt. This leads me to believe that the locking lug in the bolt has a closed end where the actuating rod engages it as oppossed to the open end on those of the take down variety. As this is the only nontake down model I have ever seen and taken apart I cannot confirm this. It would make sense that it would be this way as I do not see any other means of retaining the slide and keeping it from moving too far forward. The pictures in the book are not too good as in every shot where these parts are shown the guy doing the work has a finger over the part that I need to see to confirm this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I currently have one each of the following models 1898, 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 30 16ga, 30 20ga, 31 20ga, 42, 49. Also a 16ga straight grip Chicago Arms that would be the same as the game gun and a 12ga straight grip National Firearms that would be the same as Model 21. I am looking for a Model 26 and a Trap Gun to fill a couple holes in the collection. Some day I'd love to pick up an engraved gun or one or more in "B" grade as all of mine are "A" grade guns.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 17 slide stop

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jim;

I spent some time this weekend contemplating your question. At first, I thought you probably were correct about the closed end on the locking bolt, but now not so sure.
I looked at my Model 17, trying to see if there was anything different, and of course there is. The action bar does not have either the takedown notch (early takedown system) or the groove that the takedown guns have for the screw in the magazine support ring slides in. This means there must be an internal stop, so I checked the parts catalogs to see what is mentioned. There has to be differences as the catalogs state that the model number must be given when ordering parts. There are few parts of the 12 gauge that are interchangable between the models according to the catalog.
I question the Gun Digest that says to move the breech bolt back to disengage from the locking bolt. The action slide bar would not be long enough to get it out of the receiver to "unhook" the bar from the locking bolt. That would have to be done outside of the receiver as there cannot be any room to move the action bar out of the locking bolt sideways. If you read page 364 of Brophy's book, the instructions for removing the breech bolt is in later catalogs and in the catalogs, it says these instructins apply to all Marlin shotguns. To be able to remove the breech bolt, the locking lug cannot be closed where the action bar operates or the action bar would not able to be removed from the locking bolt.
There is some internal stop (and the catalogs state so) that has to keep the action bar from being pulled from the receiver when operating the gun. You need to find another Model 17 that is complete and take it apart to see how the internal stop works.
Anyway, that is the way I see it. I may be wrong, but I do not intend to take the Model 17 apart right now to see........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Re: Model 17 slide stop

Post by Jim Susemihl »

Gunrunner,
Thanks for the input. I'll have to see what I can come up with. As this is the only nontakedown Marlin hammer pump I have ever seen, they must be kind of rare in my area. That is why I picked this one up when the opportunity came up. Normally I only like to get complete, if not pristine, guns so that I have something as a starting point to work from. Anyway the chase is half the fun and I have really enjoyed working with these guns. Keep up the good work with this forum. It is a great place to get good info on these great old shotguns. Thanks