Marlin Model N-17S serial number 119875

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Ed Leukhardt
Beginner

Marlin Model N-17S serial number 119875

Post by Ed Leukhardt »

I have recently purchased a Marlin Model N-17S with a serial number of 119875 and the numbers 128069M stamped on the barrell. I can find absolutely no information concerning this gun. I would very much like answers to the following questions:

What is the date of manufacture?
Under what conditions (powder load, etc.) could I shot this weapons?
Where can I find accurate instructions for the take down and cleaning of this model?
How rear is this shotgun? I can find absolutely nothing about it.

To those who reply, thank you for your time and information.

Ed Leukhardt
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model N-17S serial number 119875

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ed;

The Marlin Model 17 exposed hammer pump action shotgun was listed in the Marlin catalogs from 1906 to 1908. There were some produced later during WW I from parts on hand with "A" serial number prefixes.
The Model 17 was a solid frame shotgun made in the standard "A" grade, brush and riot versions only. Barrel lengths were either 30 or 32 inches for the "A" grade, 26 inches for the brush gun and only 20 inches for the riot gun. The choke marking will be on the side of the barrel, back near the action, usually under the pump action arm. A full choke will be indicated by the letter "F", modified by the letter "M" and a cylinder bore with the letter "C". Barrel numbers will never match the receiver numbers. Each barrel was tested and records maintained and then matched up with a receiver during assembly.
Your Model 17 with the "S" letter designation will be an improved version with a better "hang fire safety release" system.
The Model 17 was a standard production gun with quite a few made. Unfortunately, over time, many have been cut down to use in cowboy action shooting, ruining the collectalility of that piece for future generations.
As to shooting your Model 17, be advised that Marlin has issued a service bulletin advising owners of these old pump action shotguns not to shoot them. EVERYTHING must be in proper working order for them to be safe to shoot. There is the chance, if the gun does not lock up properly that the breech bolt can be released from the action. (think about where your head is when in the firing position) There is a website that you can go to run your shotgun through some safety checks to see if it is alright to shoot very light loads in. There are instructions to correct any problems there too. That website is www.marauder13.homstead.com/cowboy.html .....I believe.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.