Marlin 1898 16GA

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Waffleman
Beginner

Marlin 1898 16GA

Post by Waffleman »

Just picked up a Marlin 1898 Take Down, pistol grip in 16GA. It has a F after the serial number on the barrel so from what I've read this means Full Choke. The main spring is broke, but other then that it appears to be fully functional.

Other data is as follows: PAT'D Nov. 6 1894, May 12 1896, & June 2 1896.
Receiver serial number 116929
Barrel serial number 107243F
Barrel Length - 26"
Push button take down method

I'm trying to narrow down the model. From what I'm reading, it could possibly be a 19, 19N, 19S or 21. There is no model number on the upper or lower tang. One of the internal components has a pat'd date on it but I need to disassemble again to post it. I think it was from 1904 0r 1906. I'll check it again.

Also, is the 1898 in 16GA a bit rare? The only information I find on the internet is about 1898's in 12GA.

Thank You
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1898 16GA

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Waffleman;

Your shotgun is NOT a Model 1898. It is a Model 16, which was made in 16 gauge only. The Model 16 and 1898 have the same patent dates, and neither are marked on the upper tang with a model number. The Model 1898 was made in 12 gauge only.
The Model 16 was produced from 1903 to 1910. There are a few mentioned in the old factory records, but yours will not be as the serial number is to high for the existing records.
The "F" behind the barrel serial number does indeed stand for full choke.
If you have other questions, please feel free to post them here and someone will always be willing to help.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Waffleman
Beginner

Post by Waffleman »

Thanks for the model verification Gunrunner.

I did a google on the model 16 and found one listed on gunbroker.com which sold for $1095. The one I have is not in as nice of condition as that one. I see why I thought it was an 1898 though. They look identical.

I was looking in an old Numrich catalog for the main spring and that is how I came to think it was a model 1898. Under model 1898 they have 19, 19G, 19N, 19S, 21, 49, 17 & 26 all listed and 12, 16, & 20 Gauge printed below the model #'s.

I checked Numrich's web site and they now have the model 16 listed. It's just not listed in my 8 year old catalog.
Numrich also has a replacement main spring listed for $8.75.

Now that the model issue is cleared up, I do have a question.
What does the little push button just to the right of the hammer do? This one doesn't appear to do anything. Is it malfunctioning?

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Waffleman;

The little push button on the side of the receiver is the patented "hang fire safety release" button. If everything in the gun is working properly, you cannot open the action unless the gun is fired without pushing the button in. If you can open the action without pushing the button, then you have internal problems, and you should not (cannot) shoot the gun safely.
There is a website with a list of safety checks to run your Model 16 through to see if it is working properly. You can do a search on this website to find that website.
The Model 16 in 16 gauge is not a 12 gauge gun with a 16 gauge barrel in it. The 16 gauge guns are built on a smaller receiver than the 12 gauge guns.
Other questions?

Waffleman
Beginner

Post by Waffleman »

Gunrunner,

Thanks for the help. I've already bookmarked the safety check pages and started going through them.
The action will not open unless I push the firing pin in with the hammer.

I have plenty of work to do on this one. I think it has 100 years worth of gunk packed inside of it. Everything operates in a sticky fashion. The "hang fire safety release button" wouldn't move in or out because it had so much crud built up around it.

If I need any more data I'll be back.

Waffleman
RustySpringfield
Beginner

Post by RustySpringfield »

Reference books list several Marlin slide-action shotgun models. I have a Model 16 (same design as the 1898) which never was a take-down model and only in 16 gauge. The Standard Catalog of Firearms by Ned Schwing lists it as having four grades (A, B, C, D) and being manufactured between 1903 and 1910. I'd be interested in the year of manufacture for mine: SN 130xxx.

As for shooting it, the issue is the forcing cone. Modern plastic hulls have a different crimp. They started replacing paper hulls that used a roll-crimp in the 1960s. The plastic crimp may not expand fully in the chamber, unlike the shorter roll-crimp. Both may be modern smokeless, yet the pressure will be higher in a modern hull when forcing the contents through a narrower point. Consequently, the bolt can blow back into your face and/or send pieces of the action in all directions. It is a very bad idea to attempt to ream the barrel.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

RustySpringfield;

There were only 2 models of Marlin pump action shotguns that did not have a takedown action. The Model 17 and the Model 26. Both were low cost guns that were made in just the standard or "A" grade guns. They were both offered with different barrel lengths, including a short, 20 inch riot gun length. Both of these models were 12 gauge guns only.
With a serial number in the 130,000 range, your shotgun will be in the later stage of production, most likely in the 1910 time frame, possibly even 1909.