Model 43 Questions

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

CoolBreeze
Beginner

Model 43 Questions

Post by CoolBreeze »

First, I have a 12 gauge Marlin Model 43 with a serial number in the 17 thousand range. I need to know more about the operation of this firearm. Is there any source for an owner's manual, or instructions. I also can unscrew the barrel, but when I tighten it into "firing position" it seems loose because the bar that slides into a grove in the action doesn't line up if I go all the way to wrist tight. I have to back it off slightly to allow this bar to enter the action.. I also notice the "tube" under the barrel that appears to be able to hold ammo, but I can't figure out how to load it or if this is even the function. I am at a loss and I want to be able to use the gun for hunting. I am joining a group that goes deer, pheasant, duck, and turkey hunting. Can it be used with buckshot, deer slugs, bird shot, etc. I have no information and would welcome any and all insights and/or guidance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 43 Questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Coolbreeze;

To tighten up the barrel, you have to loosen the small screw on the band at the back of the barrel where it goes against the receiver. Move the band a little at a time until it tightens up the barrel against the receiver then tighten the small screw.
Be advised that the Marlin Firearms Company as issued a Service Bulletin advising owners of the old pump action shotguns NOT to shoot them. There can be problems that require an overhaul to make them safe to shoot, and then only with light loads. I do not see the problems with the hammerless guns like yours that the hammer guns have, but the hammerless guns were included in the Service Bulletin.
To load the gun, you have to insert the shells in the slot in the bottom of the receiver, ahead of the trigger guard. The shell lifter must be in the up position to get the shells into the magazine tube.
The Model 43 was made from 1922 to 1930 in several variations. The basic Model 43, "A" grade sold for $45.00 in 1922.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
CoolBreeze
Beginner

Post by CoolBreeze »

Thank you so much!! It worked like a charm, and I also figured out how to move the ammo tube into correct position once the barrel was tightened properly! I am concerned about the bulletins you mentioned, and am not sure I can use this gun for deer hunting. Should I limit my hunting with this gun to pheasant and turkey? Assuming those to be the "lighter" loads you mentioned or can I use it with buck shot. Or have I misunderstood and you were referring to the size of the shell because I can't find a marking that specifies the length of the shells to use.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Coolbreeze;

Typically, the Marlin shotguns are chambered for the 2 3/4 inch shells. I would not try turkey loads. Light loads would be okay for pheasants.
You might contact Marlin for a copy of the Service Bulletin. It is meant mostly to scare people out of using their old Marlin shotguns, but they were safe at one time, and can be made safe again if you do the safety checks that are required to insure safe operation. Most of the problems were with the hammer guns, and I do not know of any problems with the hammerless guns, like yours. They are made different, and really should be safe as long as you are using lighter loads.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
CoolBreeze
Beginner

Post by CoolBreeze »

Thank you so much for the info. I will send Marlin a request for the bulletin as you suggest, and be guided by your advice. This shotgun was part of my Dad's collection that I inherited a few years back. I haven't gone through them all, but I am certain that their are more Marlins in the group. I will get them unpacked, and will most assuredly have more questions. Thanks again.
saintjude33
Beginner

Post by saintjude33 »

Is there a link or address wo contact about this advisory? I have a model 43 and 44 and am already awaiting the owners manual.
LeftyDon
Beginner

Post by LeftyDon »

Thanks for the information on the model 43, I've got one and also wondered how to tighten the barrel.
Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, Marlin 43 12 gauge & Glenfield .22LR Semi