Marlin Model 90 Combo Gun Value

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90 Combo Gun Value

Post by BarkeyVA »

Gunbroker lists a Marlin Model 90 .22/.410 combo gun (pre-WWII) starting at $1895. Any idea if this is a reasonable price? It is my understanding that Marlin made relatively few combo guns. I've looked it up in the Blue Book, but from what I can tell, Blue book prices for any M90 is significantly undervalued, based on what what folks are currently asking on the various auction web sites.
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 90 Combo Gun Value

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BarkeyVA;

Just returned from the Tulsa Gun Show this past weekend. There was a .30-30 over 12 gauge there for over $3,000.00 and a .22 over .410 at about the price you quoted. So it seems about right......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

I just bought a Marlin Model 90, .22/410 Combo Gun, Serial No. 9xx for $500, plus shipping and handing. Definitely not in the same league as the one offered for $1895 on gunbroker and definitely not a collectable. It has a broken stock that someone glued back together and put a bolt through it for reinforcement. Most of the bluing on the barrels is gone and there are a few rust spots. The previous owner had bead blasted the receiver and applied a cold blue finish that actually looks pretty good. It locks up tight, the bores are bright with no rust or pits, and it shoots fine. Definitely a shooter and "project" for the future. However, it fills out my "collection" of Model 90's, all shooters (two 12's, two 16's, including a Skeet king, two 20's, a .410 and now a combo) at a price I could afford.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Had a chance to shoot the Model 90 .22/.410 combo again last week. The .22 shot ok but the front trigger, bottom barrel .410 would not shoot (acted like the safety was still on) I remembered a post on the 16 ga. web site by Charles Hammack over a year ago that he has removed the safety lever on all of his Model 90's. I took the stock off but could not see why the front trigger would not release. I removed the safety lever, and it shoots fine now. Still not sure what was going on with it, but I have no problem with a manual safety.

Actually, my first 12 ga. Model 90 that my dad bought for me over 50 years ago has a manual safety. I did not know Model 90's came with an automatic safety until I got my first 20 ga. Model 90. It took a few rounds with the 20 ga. to get used to pushing the safety off between shots.

I showed the combo to Clay Smith, who had makes 18th century long guns by hand for Colonial Williamsburg ( I've seen some of his work and he is an incredible craftsman). He said he would charge me $75 to plug the bolt hole in the stock and blend finish it. He does not think there is enough space to reinforce it with fiberglass, but he did comment that the glue originally used to repair the stock seems strong enough. I think I will just have Clay plug the hole and hold off having more extensive work done on it.
BarkeyVA