Model 90 16 ga. question?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Northup
Beginner

Model 90 16 ga. question?

Post by Northup »

New to the forum so any helpful insight very much appreciated! Looking for any info, interesting facts, or history on Model 90 O/U 16 ga DT serial# 7288(under receiver). Lot's of sentimental family value as this was the first shotgun my father let me use...and represents all that was once my childhood and spending time in the field with him! I had not seen it in over 18 years until recently when me father made a long cross country trip and showed up at my doorstep with it(and a couple other of the shotguns of his I used growing up) in his hands to pass along to me! According to him(and his memory is very grey) he bought it used in Massachusetts possibly 25 years ago. Still looks and shoots the same as I remember as a kid! Also any estimated value(only for my insurance records as I wouldn't sell it for the world) would be helpful. It appears to have the original Redhead recoil pad, and also a pointing dog engraved(maybe roll stamped?) on the receiver. Thanks in advance for any help on this. Great website and I will be visiting very often from here on out!
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Model 90 16 ga. question?

Post by BarkeyVA »

Nothrup,

I can certainly appreciate how excited and happy you must have been to receive that special gun from your Dad. Based on your description, your 16 ga model 90 was likely made before WWII. I have a 20 ga. Model 90 (Serial # 29XX) with the same pointing dog "engraving." Model 90's made after WWII have a letter prefix in the serial number ( For example, DXXX) According to Brophy in his book, "Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that Made Them," Marlin introduced 16 and 20 ga. M90's with 26" and 28" barrels in 1937. Early M90's (prior to 1949 or '50) have a solid rib between the barrels.
26" barrels were typically choked IC/Mod and 28" barrels were typically choked F/M. However, I have a 12 ga M90 with 28" barrels that is choked IC/Mod. Dad bought that gun for me used for $37.50 over 50 years ago. He cut the stock off to fit me and then added a piece to lengthen the stock when I got bigger. I still shoot that gun as well as any I own, and I would never sell it either. What is the barrel length on you gun?

No one knows for sure how many 16 ga. M90's were made prior to 1952 as Marlin did not keep any records. The value of the gun would be based on its overall condition. You can check the various auction sites (Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc.) to see what folks are asking for 16 ga M90's. I bought one about a year ago that was made in 1954 for $575. The stock and foreend had been refinished by a previous owner. I probably paid too much, but I had been looking of a 16 ga. with 26" barrels for some time. They are "sweet" guns!
BarkeyVA
Northup
Beginner

Post by Northup »

BarkeyVA, Thank you very much for all the great info!Much appreciated. It is a 26" with a solid rib. I have since diassembled and verified all of the serial#'s match up. Stock was never cut. Forearm still snaps in tight and rock solid. Neither appear to have ever been refinished. Had a gunsmith measure the chokes and they are IC/Mod. I agree with you 100%...it is a "sweet" gun -brings a smile to my face everytime I pick it up! Thanks again for all your time and insight.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Northup,

You are more than welcome! I suspect that there were relatively fewer 16 ga M90's made with 26" barrels. The fact that your gun is all original would add to it's value. According to Brophy, when introduced the M90 had a hard rubber buttplate as standard, but the Redhead recoil pad could be special-ordered. The selling price ranged from $39.90 in 1937 to $51.55 in 1941(Nov).
BarkeyVA
reichterj12
Beginner

Post by reichterj12 »

I have a Marlin model 90 over under 16 gauge and I want to know how much it is worth because I want to sell it. It is in fair condition and shoots great. If someone could give me a price that would be great!
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

There is a 16 ga. Marlin model 90 listed on GunBroker now. He started it at $300 with a buy it now for $450. Check it out to see how yours compares. You might also post your question along with photos on the 16 ga. com site. Good luck.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =267501707
BarkeyVA