Marlin pumps dangerous to shoot?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Sipi
Beginner

Marlin pumps dangerous to shoot?

Post by Sipi »

I'm new to the world of Marlin shotguns I just bought a 12ga Model 19. It was such a neat looking little pump shotgun I couldn't pass it up for $100.00.

I've done a search online and have heard alot of pros and cons about Marlin hammer pump shotguns. Some say they'll kick the bolt out of the back of the reciever, and some say there o k with low brass target loads or black powder shells. The idea of black powder sounds kind of appealing to me. My other shotgun is a Model 12 Winchester and I just bought the Marlin to have something unique to shoot an occaisional round of trap with, or take bird hunting once in a while.

How dangerous are these guns? I'd be interested in hearing as many opinions as possible discussing the safety and reliability of these guns. Were they a bad design from the start, or are there some that fail due to age and or neglect? How common and how likely is the bolt to come out of the back of the reciever?

I'd appreciate any advice,
Sipi
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin pumps dangerous to shoot?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sipi;

The Marlin Firearms Company issued a Service Bulletin several years ago advising owners of these old shotguns not to shoot them as they can be dangerous.
But....they were safe at one time (when they were new), and they can be made safe again. There are a number of safety checks you can do to find out if your gun is currently safe to shoot and instructions on correcting any malfunctions. Go to the following website:
http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/marlin.htm or go to
http://www.marauder13.homstead.com/cowboy.htm
Both sites should give you the information you need. I have several Marlin shotguns, and none will pass the safety test given. Most in excellent overall condition, but may be just dirty inside, and not allow the safety functions to work properly.
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.