Identifing an old Marlin 12 ga. shotgun?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Greyghost
Beginner

Identifing an old Marlin 12 ga. shotgun?

Post by Greyghost »

I've got an old Marlin exposed hammer take down shot gun I purchased a few years back I'd like to find out as much as posible about.

I do know that it is a early first variation 1898 in pristine condition.

The first models were supposed to be made available around June 1st 1898 with a variation incorporating a recoil safty device and push button bolt release in 1899, this gun has neither, you had to push the firing pin forward to open the bolt. I read some where that these were never produced for sale.

This was made before any actually recorded serialization or at least any I can find in the books, though it is stamped with a four digit of 57XX on the underside of the reciever, and a 59XX on the right side of barrel.

It was made before they had different grades, and was advertised as a standard, which included a 30" full choke barrel, pistol grip stock, groved pump handle and a silver bead front sight.

The blue book I have (27th edition) doesn't shoe anything before they starting coming out with different grades after 1899 and with a serial number starting with 19,000

Top of barrel is marked with flower type stamps on each side of lettering and saying:

MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN. CT. U.S.A.
PAT'D NOV.6. 1894. MAY 12. 1896. & JUNE 2. 1896

The "Marlin Firearms Book" is where I've gotten ans much as I have, and it says it's good for smokeless or black powder, but doesn't say what size shell they took and the barrel isn't stamped with it either.

Anyone have any more they could add?

Phil
"Gun owners - the people who actively believe that the Second Amendment right is one worth keeping- - aren't doing enough to keep it!"
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Identifing an old Marlin 12 ga. shotgun?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Phil;

The Model 1898 shotgun utilized the 2 3/4 inch shell according to the 1905 catalog.
All guns offered by Marlin in the old catalogs were for sale and were sold. The records for the Marlin shotguns start at 19,601 and run up to 67,000. Guns were made before 19,601 as you know as you have one of the early ones. Guns without the push button release and double extractors (yours will have a single extractor) run up around 10,000 serial number range and maybe a little higher.
Your barrel serial number should have a letter along with it indicating the choke, although the standard 30 inch barrels were made with a full choke as standard. The letter should be an "F" for full choke. It would be interesting to know if standard full choked early barrels had the letter.
Some of the best information is from the old catalogs. Cornell Publishing offers many early reproduction Marlin catalogs, and there is a link to that website on our LINKS icon on the front page here.
If you have any other specific questions, please post them and someone will respond......
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Greyghost
Beginner

Post by Greyghost »

No barrel markings what-so-ever ecept the the Patent dates and numbers on top and the #5901 on the right side. No letter F indicating full choke, nor any model number, gauge number, or size shell information. I'm going by what the Marlin book states that all of the early "Standard" models were shipped with 30" ful choke barrels unless somethng different was specifically ordered.

Sure would like to find out what the 2-3/4" shell loading consisted of, and one have any information there?

Thanks,

Phil
"Gun owners - the people who actively believe that the Second Amendment right is one worth keeping- - aren't doing enough to keep it!"
Greyghost
Beginner

Post by Greyghost »

OK, so far I haven't been able to find the links your talking about. But plan to keep looking, I'd like to have a copy of the add. I had another guy tell me that the very early 1898 used a 2-5/8 shell, but didn't say whether it was papper or brass, only that he thought it was black powder.

At any rate any information is appreciated.

Thanks guy's, I'm new here so bare with me.

Phil
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Phil;

On the home page here, (http://www.marlin-collectors.com), on the left side of the screen, you will see the icons for JOIN, NEWS, MESSAGE BOARD (at the bottom) and just above that is the LINKS icon. Click on the icon and it will take you to a list of links we are associated with. Cornell Publishing is the one you want. They also sell the reproduction catalogs on eBay.
I would have to dig out my 1899 catalog to see what it says about the 2 5/8 shell. The 1905 was the one that mentioned the 2 3/4 inch shell. Maybe the early guns did utilize the shorter shell. When I have time, I will take a look.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Phil;

I dug out my original February, 1899 Marlin catalog, and it too says the Model 1898 uses the 2 3/4 inch shell. It also shows the Model 1898 offered as the standard "A" grade and the engraved "C" grade. No mention of the "B" or "D" grades. They apparently came later. Brophy shows the "D" grade in 1899, so maybe it is listed in the later (picture cover) 1899 catalog, I will have to look. The "B" grade is first listed in the 1903 catalog according to Brophy.
The catalog cut of the shotgun definitely shows the gun without the pushbutton safety release as found on later guns.