1898 pump

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cpkphil
Beginner

1898 pump

Post by cpkphil »

I have an 1898 hammer type pump 12 ga shotgun. When I pump it the forearm does not stop where it should. It goes all the way to the end of the mag tube and would probably come off if there was not a leather thong to keep it from doing so. What is supposed to limit the stroke? thanx Phil G cpk43@verizon.net
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 pump

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cpkphill;

It sounds like you are missing the forend slide stop (slide action bar stop in takedown instructions). It is the little "tab" that lies along side of the barrel in a notch in the side of the barrel that you have to move to take the gun down. Without the stop, there is nothing to keep the forend from going to far forward.
To take the gun down, you have to move the slide bar backwards slightly to align the "tab" from the stop in a notch in the slide bar then pull the forend forward. (the magaz align tube had to be pulled forward first) The little stop bar falls out quite easily as I found out recently with a Model 1898 shotgun I just picked up.
Go to Numrich Gun Parts Corporation and look at their schematics and you will see the part in question. (http://www.e-gunparts.com)
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
cpkphil
Beginner

Post by cpkphil »

Hi! Do you have any pix that show how this goes on? That would help alot. thanx PG
cpkphil
Beginner

Post by cpkphil »

Hi! Is there anyone who can direct me to a site that shows how the forend stop is installed or a more detailed how to? thanx Phil G
cpkphil
Beginner

Post by cpkphil »

I got the stop and installed it. First it was hard to pump now it won't pump at all. Any suggestions?? Thanx Phil g
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Phil;

Sometimes, these parts require a little hand fitting to make things work. Your "new" stop may be a little thick where it enters the front of the receiver against the pump rod. You might need to thin it down just a little to insure cleanance. The stop can only go in one way correctly to make the action "takedown", so you should have it in correctly. If the stop is to thick, it may be binding the pump rod against the side of the receiver and internally.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.