The Original Marlin Goosegun/Model 55/12 GA

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

talltimbertessie
Beginner

The Original Marlin Goosegun/Model 55/12 GA

Post by talltimbertessie »

I am trying to find the value of this gun for an elderly lady recently widowed, suffered a stroke, needs funds. I don't know where to start, I know nothing about shotguns and this lady really needs help, so I will ask you guys. This is a very long gun, barrel about 43", overall length about 58". It is a bolt action. On the barrel it reads "THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. EST 1870" "NORTH HAVEN, CONN, U.S.A. MODEL 55 12 GA. Then further down towards the stock it reads "THE ORIGINAL MARLIN GOOSE GUN" "3 INCH MAGNUM CHAMBER".
It appears to be in good shape to me, some scratches and nicks, think it was tossed in the pickup when they used to go hunting. It doesn't have a "clip", "magazine", is it supposed to? :lol: or do you just load one shell at a time? Told you I know nothing! Think it just needs to be cleaned and tried out - preferably not by me.
Can y'all tell me if I need to advertise this and what you think it might bring? If someone wants to buy this through the mail, can I legally mail it? Anybody that will, just PLEASE give me some hints as to approximate value, what to do, like she's your MOTHER, okay? She is most likely going to be confined to nursing home or maybe talk me into letting her come home with me - :shock: no kids, so I'm doing the best I can for her.
ALSO, AS LONG AS I'M HERE-----they also had a shotgun I cannot find anything about on the Internet. I will try to describe best as I can: Muzzleloader, double barrel, two exposed hammers, two triggers, about 1/2" bores, 23" barrel, 38" overall length, markings are "Ward & Sons" on both sides of engraved plate built in under the hammers. Its condition is really bad, very rusty, thankfully won't fire, but I had never seen a muzzle loading gun and think it might be a collectible. ANY IDEAS as to value, what to do, etc.
Anyway, thanks a bunch and please get back to me ASAP!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: The Original Marlin Goosegun/Model 55/12 GA

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Talltimbertessie;

The Goose Gun with the 3 inch chamber would have been made between 1962 and 1996. They did use a 2 shot clip and those can be found at Numrich Gun Parts Corporation.
Value is not to high, around $125.00 for an 80 to 85% gun.
You cannot ship the gun, unless you send to an FFL holder. If you want to sell, best find someone local.
The Ward & Son shotgun is not listed anywhere, so it probably was made by someone else for them, and they were probably just small wholesalers. No guess as to value as there are thousands of different old muzzleloading shotguns made and values vary greatly.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.