Model 26-G Function/Repair Question

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mtb1098
Beginner

Model 26-G Function/Repair Question

Post by mtb1098 »

Hello,
I just purchased a Model 26-G that a local Police Dept. cut down into a Riot Gun. The action was frozen with rust, which I have cleaned out, and I now have the bolt cycling. However, I cannot get the bolt to cycle after pulling the trigger without holding down the bolt release. I did a search and found out about the "Firing Pin Safety", but that is being held down by the hammer. The bolt release cycles freely, and its spring appears to be fine. Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Mike Butler
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 26-G Function/Repair Question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

That is not a firing pin safey, it called the "Hang Fire Safety" release button. The gun must be fired so that the recoil will knock of the hang fire safety before a gun can be cycled. If the gun is not fired, and the action needs to be opened, you must push the hang fire safety release button to get the action to open.
It sounds like the action is working correctly to me....
Are you sure the police cut the barrel down? The Model 26 was made in the factory as a riot version. If it is a real riot gun, the barrel will have a serial number, about under the forearm, and there should be a letter with the serial number. It will be either an "F" for full choke or an "M" for modified choke or a "C" for cylinder bore. If it has anything other than the "C", it has been cut. It should also measure 20 inches long.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mtb1098
Beginner

Re: Model 26-G Function/Repair Question

Post by mtb1098 »

Hi,
Thanks for the response. From yoru description, it sounds like the action is working as expected. I was not familiar with the action. As to the barrel, I am guessing it was cut down, basically because of how square the muzzle end is. Although I do not see any saw marks, the barrel edges are quite square. But with your imput, I wil check the barrel this evening for the codes you indicated.

Thanks