Model 90 ST, 16 ga. Questions Pics added

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Model 90 ST, 16 ga. Questions Pics added

Post by BarkeyVA »

I am looking at a Marlin Model 90ST 16 ga. 28 " barrels, SN 6093. The top lever spring seems to be missing or broken because the top lever does not "spring back" to the closed position after opening. Any idea if springs are available or if one can be fabicated?

This gun has a web between the barrels and a "snap-on" forearm. Any idea when it was made? According to Brophy, Model 90 ST's were not introduced intil 1954, but Marlin started using a lever to remove the forearm in 1951. Also, barrels were open after 1949 0r '50. Very confusing. Any idea when it was actually made?
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Model 90 ST, 16 ga. Questions

Post by BarkeyVA »

This gun has beautiful engraving on the receiver, forearm hardware and the bottom of the trigger guard. The letters AA are engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard. The screw driver slot on the trigger guard is slightly deformed indicating that it has been removed. Any chance that the original owner had it engraved after he bought it? I also assume it would have had to removed to install a Miller trigger. I would like to know if there is a way to identify Miller triggers.

The letter S is stamped on top of the serial number like so:

S

It also has what appears to be a factory-installed recoil pad. Does anyone know if this is a special order gun?

Post by Don Anderson »

BarkeyVA:

The "S" would indictae this Model 90 was made in 1959. As for it being a special order shotgun, no, as Marlin did not have a special order shop at this time. Consequently, the engraving would be aftermarket and not done by Marlin.

Don
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Don,

All of my other marlin Model 90's (4) have the letter in front of the serial number as in D184. Also, this gun has a web between the barrels. I thought Marlin stopped doing that in 1949 or 1950. Certainly is puzzling.
BarkeyVA
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

BarkeyVA:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but was out of town. I did some research and called one of my friends, who has an outstanding collection of Model 90's. He knew about your gun, as you evidently have been asking some questions about it from a fellow down south, who in turn called my friend. The "S" above the serial number would normally indicate this was a skeet king shotgun, therefore being an older Model 90, probably 1939-1940, and it would not have a space between the barrels. However, there are some odd things about your particular Model 90. It seems like it has the correct Marlin checkering on it, but it does not have the standard skeetking engraving on the receiver. The Redhead shotgun buttpad in correct for that gun. The single trigger could be a custom Miller trigger, a fellow who is out of Ohio. The son still does the work there that his father once did. Have you checked the receiver, butt stock, barrels and forearm to see if the serial numbers are all the same? Also, would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your gun, as my friend would like to study it and would be able to give you more information. Thanks.

Don
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

The numbers on the receiver, barrels and fore end all match. I did not check the stock. I have closeup photos of the engraving, trigger and and wood. I don't know how to post them. I am going out of town for few days. If you provide your email address I will send them to you when I get back.
BarkeyVA
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

BarkeyVA:

My email address is: danderson17@sbcglobal.net. Look forward to receiving the pictures and will then let you know the information I find out.

Don
SCVDon
Beginner

Post by SCVDon »

Numrich shows the cocking lever spring on the parts list for the model 90's, but doesn't have them in stock. It seems like a simple wire spring and any decent gunsmith should be able to make one for you.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Gunter Pfrommer, a gunsmith in Rocky Mount, VA was able to order a top lever spring and repair the gun.
I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Ron Borko, who has an extensive collection of Model 90's, including several Skeetkings. After seeing and examining my gun, Ron is convinced it is a Skeetking made between 1939-40 or '41. The engraving is similar in style, just more extensive than his Skeetkings. All of the serial numbes match, indicating that it was assembled at the factory. Ron said that the single trigger, which looks identical to the rear trigger of a standard DT Model 90, does not appear to be an aftermarket conversion.

As background, family members of the original owner, Alf Altern, have told me that Ole Horsrud, a gunsmith (and hunting buddy of Alf's), "who did work for Sears, made the gun and gave it" to their father. Ole Hursrud was an inventor and is the inventor of record on the original patent, assigned to Sears, for the gun that was sold by Sears as the Ranger and by Marlin as the Model 90.

I think Ole probably had the gun made for his friend. Based on his background, Ole likely would have had contacts at the factory and prehaps knew the outside engravers that Marlin sometimes used. He also would have had the knowledge and experience to install the single trigger mechanism or have Marlin do it.

In any case, I really appreciated Ron Borko's comments about the gun and especially his opinion that it is a "damned nice gun"! I certainly think the gun is special.
BarkeyVA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Such a unique gun deserves to be seen. If you would be so kind as to email your pictures to me I would gladly post them on here for all to see. PLEASE.
GBOT, GBUSA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Here are the pictures of the shotgun

GBOT, GBUSA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Model 90 ST, 16 ga. Questions Pics added

Post by BarkeyVA »

Sure-Shot

Thanks for posting the pictures. Other details: 28" barrels choked Full and Mod. Web between the barrels, clip-on fore end. LOP 14-1/4" from the trigger to the rear of the recoil pad. Original Red Head pad. The AA engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard are the original owner's initials.

I bought the gun at an estate sale that was held in rural North Dakota. It was listed on the internet only as a 16 ga. Model 90. I requested photos, and after seeing the photos and learning of its history from the original owner's family, I submitted a not-to-exceed bid. I was fortunate to get if for less than my maximum bid.

The gun is special to me mainly due to its connection to Ole Horsrud, the inventor of the Marlin Model 90. The gun is a "shooter" with a few indentations and scratches in the wood and some scratches along one side of the bottom barrel. There are some small "dings" on the top of the receiver and some minor corrosion spots on the metal. The bores are bright except for one small rust spot or pit in front of the chamber in the bottom barrel. I knew that the top lever spring was broken before I submitted a bid but was assured that it would lock up tight, which it did.

The first time I tried shooting it the bottom barrel fired, but the trigger locked up and would not fire either barrel. The gunsmith who repaired it said that a piece of the broken top lever spring had jammed the trigger. I had dry-fired the gun several times with snap-caps and it worked OK. Apparently, the recoil from that first shot shook a piece of the broken top lever spring loose where it jammed the trigger.

My Dad (he is 91) and I shot it this week using a portable trap behind the barn on his farm in Illinois. It was the first opportunity I have had to shoot it since having it repaired. I like the way it fits, and I am pleased with the way it shoots. I am looking forward to shooting some trap and wobble trap with it when I get back to Virginia next week.

My Dad's hands shake so bad that it is impossible to read his writing. However, put a gun in his hands and he still does pretty good. I have some photos of him shooting skeet on his 90th birthday last summer with his 28 ga. Beretta o/u using reloads with 1/2 oz. of shot instead of standard 3/4 oz. shells. He hit 18 out of 25, and was a little irritated that, in his opinion, he did so bad! ( It was really hot that day.) I'll be happy just to be able to hold a gun at 91!

I have 6 Model 90's including this 16 ga. Skeetking (all shooters)--two 12's, two 16's, a 20 and a .410 ga. My Dad bought my first Model 90 for me in 1957 when I was 14 (a used 12 ga. made in 1950, 28" barrels, choked imp./cyl./mod). He paid $37.50 for it! He cut off the stock so it would fit me and then added a piece back when I got bigger. It doesn't look like much, but I still shoot that gun as well as any I have ever owned for hunting quail and pheasants.
BarkeyVA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Attached are photos of the sear box that the gunsmith took after he had repaired my 16 ga Skeetking. Please post them for me. Some folks might be interested in seeing them. Ron Borko doesn't think so, but in my mind, there is still a question whether this is an aftermarket single trigger conversion or a factory original. From the photos you can see that the trigger is identical to the rear trigger of a standard M90 DT.
GBOT, GBUSA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Sure-Shot,

Thanks for posting the photos of the sear. Although all of the serial numbers match, I think there is still some uncertainty whether the sear of my ST was assembled at the factory or if it is an ST conversion.

I ordered reprints of 1941 and 1954 Marlin Gun catalogs from Cornell Publications. The 1941 catalog lists the Model 90 ST, but it does not have a diagram of the sear. The 1954 Catalog freatures the M90 ST, including a view of the sear. There are differences between the 1954 ST and my Skeetking ST, particularly the shape and position of the trigger and the shape and location of the inertia weight.

It would be interesting to know if the inertia weight and trigger on the ST listed in the Marlin 1941 Gun catalog are similar to the components used to build my gun.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

The chokes on this 16 ga. Model 90 Skeetking with 28" barrels measure Extra Full and Improved Modified. I was surprised since according to Brophy, Skeetkings were supposed to be adjusted at the factory to pattern best at 25 yards. However, Skeetkings were special order guns so it is possible that the original owner wanted tighter chokes for trap or hunting ducks and geese.

Some friends and I shot sporting clays and wobble trap at a local club yesterday afternoon. The wobble trap set-up is 5 stations in-line with the wobble trap. They throw a single and two report pairs at each station. The shots are generally taken at 20-35 yards so I use guns choked SK/IC or IC/Mod. Just for fun, I decided to try a round of wobble trap with the 16 ga. Skeetking. I hit 23 out of 25 using 1 oz. # 7-1/2 game loads. 23 /25 is as good as I generally do with the more open choked guns. One thing is for sure, when you cover a clay at 20-30 yards with an extra full choke, there is nothing left but smoke. Now, I think I'll try it on skeet!
BarkeyVA