Marlin Model 31 Questions

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rjbielat
Beginner

Marlin Model 31 Questions

Post by rjbielat »

Hello all,

I'm not too familiar with guns, especially old ones, but I've got a 16ga Model 31 (grade A) that was my great grandfather's. Could someone run through the mechanism of the gun?

I understand how the takedown mechanism works.

What's the thumb-button on the top of the reciever do?
How should the safety work?
How does the pump mechanism work (should there be a release of some sort?)?

Thanks!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 31 Questions

Post by Sure-Shot »

I do not know the answers to your questions as I do not collect the shotguns -- here is some general information from the old Marlin adds:

From Brophys book, Marlin Firearms A History Of The Firearms And The Company That Made Them. Model 31-16ga introduced in 1914. "Grade 'A' has Special Rolled Steel barrel, an extra strong and tough quality, with a tensile strength of over 66,000 pounds to the square inch. Breech bolt, firing pin and other important parts are of Chrome Nickel Steel, specially heat treated, with an elastic limit of over 100,000 pounds to the square inch-nearly twice as strong as similar parts in other guns. Trigger is of tool steel; coil springs are used. Buttstocks and forearms are fine straight-grained black walnut, handsomely shaped and finished. Buttstock measures 13 1/2 inchesin length; 1 5/8 inches at drop at comb; 2 1/2 inches drop at heel. Genuine rubber buttplate. Any other dimensions, $8.00 extra. Regular guns have 28 inch full choke barrel only. On special order, guns with 26 or 28 inch barrel, and with choice of full choke, modified choke or cylinder bore, will be made up at the same price".
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rjbielat;

The button on top of the receiver is the "Hang Fire" safety release. If you wish to open the action, without firing the shotgun, then you have to release the "hang fire" safety. If the gun is fired, the safety is automaticly released upon discharge. If the "hang fire" safety is working properly, you should not be able to open the action without releasing it.
The pump action should work anytime as long as the gun is either fired, or the "hang fire" safety is released.
The regular safety inside the trigger guard works about like any other safety. You have to manually put it on or take it off.
Be advised, Marlin has put out a Service Bulletin advising owners of old Marlin shotguns not to shoot them. There have been some instances of accidential discharge where the action has not been fully closed and locked. I do not see how the hammerless versions could be affected, but they are listed in the Service Bulletins as possible dangers.
If you have any other questions, please post them here, and someone will get back to you.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mrthomas396
Beginner

Post by mrthomas396 »

I have a model 31, 16 Ga. also. How do I know what grade it is? And what is the significance of "1809" on it? Needs repaired, anyone know anyone that could fix it for a reasonable price?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mrthomas396;

The four grades are as follows: (brief description)

A Grade Standard gun, usually 30 inch full choke barrel.

B Grade Checkered stocks, Speical Smokeless Steel barrel

C Grade Factory engraved receiver Checkered, fancy walnut stocks Special Smokeless Steel barrel

D Grade Factory engraved receiver Checkered, circassian walnut stocks Damascus barrel gold plated trigger and screws

The "1809" probably is the serial number.

Cannot help you with someone to fix your shotgun. Where are you located so someone might give you a good gunsmith in your area.

I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.