model 17g riot gun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

nrog
Beginner

model 17g riot gun

Post by nrog »

just bought a model 17g riot gun, 12ga , with a 20" barrell

how common are these shotguns? I can't seem to find much info on it.
any info on
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The model 17 was made from 1906 to 1908 and is not common at all. Exact production figures are not known, but you seldom see them. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Nrog;

I hope you did not get if off of one of the internet sites. There are a couple of very nice ones for sale, but from another's experience, it turns out the barrels had been cut off. Look closely at the end of the barrel, and inside. Make sure it is not a cut off.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

In the early 80s, I had a chance for a legit model 17 riot gun that was marked from a state prison. It was 350 which was very high then. I should have bought it.

I agree that many have been cut down for appeal to the 'cowboy' shooting community and have seen same too many times. :? SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
nrog
Beginner

Post by nrog »

bought it in new hampshire at a gun shop, not online

any good ways to tell if it was cut off? If they did it was a darn good job. The patina on the muzzle matches the rest of the gun perfectly. There is no front sight bead however.

Even if it was cut off, it will be a handy shotgun in the woods. I am happy with my purchase
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Nrog;

If there the front sight bead is missing, and there the hole it should be in is not there, then the barrel has been cut off. Even the riot guns had a front sight bead. Measure the barrel length, and it should measure 20 inches (very close to the even number).
If you are happy with it, then that is the main thing. You are the only person you have to please........
shotley
Pro-Marksman

Post by shotley »

nrog- congrats on your purchase. I can confirm Gunrunners comments reguarding difficulty in finding one. I've tried to add one to the collection for quite some time, all I've been able to lay my hands on are obvious cut-offs. Enjoy!!!
Ken
snuffman
Beginner

Re: model 17g riot gun

Post by snuffman »

I have a 12 gauge pump with exposed hammer, the model number is 17-g. The barrel measures 19 and 1/4 inches the patd april 2, 1889. sept. 11, 1894. nov. 6, 1894. nov. 27, 1900. nov. 29, 1904. Can any one tell me anything about such as worth or tell me were to find info on exact year made?
shotley
Pro-Marksman

Re: model 17g riot gun

Post by shotley »

snuffman, I believe that the were made from 1906-1908, I would not venture to guess the value. I recently looked at a model 17, it had the barrel serial number followed by the choke designation. If your choke designation is "c" you may have a good one. The number and designation was found half way between the reciever and forearm , on the ejection side of the gun, way down between the barrel and magazine. I needed perfect lighting and a magnifying glass to read it, came up with a five digit number followed by a "F" for full choke, not what I wanted. Good luck!!