Marlin Model 28TS shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

markus
Beginner

Marlin Model 28TS shotgun

Post by markus »

I recently picked up a Model 28 Trap special. I have looked around the net,but have not found much information on it.

Shotgun is in great shape(nice wood,shiny smooth bore,action works nice).
My only problem is the cartridge release (end that keeps shell from jumping out of mag tube)is broken. I have ordered 2 from numrich,but the "tab" that contacts the slide lever is too short on both of them.Is there anywhere i can find the correct piece?

Is there any saftey issues with these? I have not checked,but am sure it has a short chamber.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

markus

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Markus;

The Model 28 TS or Trap Special was made from 1913 to 1917. It was not a speical ordered gun like many of Marlin trap guns made to shoot trap. It was a basic economy gun available for $26.00 when introduced.
As to your parts problem, Numrich may have sent you a part for one of the 16 or 20 gauge hammerless model guns, and not a 12 gauge gun. Short of making the part by hand, you may have to buy a parts gun. There has been a stripped hammerless receiver on one of the internet auction sites. I do not know if there are any internal parts present.
The Model 28 is on Marlin's list of guns they advise owners not to shoot. I am not sure exactly why as the action is completely different from the hammer guns that can be dangerous if not in complete working order. Stick to the light loads and I would expect you to be okay. Neverless, have a gunsmith check it out first.
I hope this helps.
markus
Beginner

Marlin model 28

Post by markus »

Thanks for the information. There is a gunshow in town today,so i might go ruffle through some junk part boxes :lol: .
If all else fails,i'll take the new piece and tig the old tab to it. Trim to the right length.Overall this shotgun is in pretty good shape. It looks to have been carried more than it was fired(thin bluing).

The only reason i could think of that would make these a non-shooter is the short chamber(and people who will shove 2 3/4 high brass into anything).

I have a couple of pre war(1928 and 1929) A5 brownings with 2 9/16" chambers. I shoot the polywad 2 1/2" shells in them. No need to beat on a vintage shotgun.

markus
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I'm not sure what you mean by short, but these have a 2 3/4" chamber. As you say, avoid the short magnums & turkey whackers & you should have little trouble. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
markus
Beginner

Chamber

Post by markus »

I have not checked the chamber on this one,but my A5 Brownings have 2 9/16" Chambers. This model 28 is a 1913,so i assumed it has 2 9/16" chambers vs. the 2 3/4" chambers that became standard latter on(1930's?)

I am just starting to learn about the old Marlins and did not know they had the 2 3/4" chambers that early.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Markus;

According to the 1915 Marlin catalog, the Model 28 was chambered for either the 2 3/4 or 2 5/8 inch shell. So be sure to measure your chamber.
markus
Beginner

Thanks Guys

Post by markus »

Thanks for the information on the Mod.28 .
I spent a little time in the machine shop at work this morning and TIG welded a bit to the tab of the new cartridge release i got from Numrich.It did not need much,and with a little file work,wet stone,and then a polish with 2000 grit sandpaper it looks like itwas never touched.

I installed it when i got home and it works perfect. Below is a current picture.Since the picture above, i have given it a good cleaning and touched up the bluing. I am happy with this old shotgun and only have 90.00 in it. I did measure the chamber.It does have a 2 5/8" chamber,so i will stick to the polywad vintager rounds.
markus