Marlin Model 90 Barrel Lengths and Chokes

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90 Barrel Lengths and Chokes

Post by BarkeyVA »

According to everything I read, Marlin Model 90, 12ga shotguns with 28 inch barrels were choked Full and Modified. I have one (Serial No. G2593) with 28 inch barrels that is choked Imp. Cyl./Mod. Could it have come from the factory with that choke combination?

Also, I am looking for a Model 90 20 ga choked imp. cyl./mod.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Marlin Model 90 Barrel Lengths and Chokes

Post by BarkeyVA »

This a follow-up to my 9/7/07 post. According to everything I read, Marlin Model 90 shotguns with 28 inch barrels were choked Full and Modified. However, I have a 12 ga. (Serial No. G2593) with 28 inch barrels that is choked IC/M.

Does anyone else have a Marlin Model 90 with 28" barrels choked IC/M?
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Marlin Model 90 Barrel Lengths and Chokes

Post by BarkeyVA »

I just got an inexpensive choke gauge for about $8 plus shipping from Brownells. I checked it with a digital micrometer and it is surprisingly accurate. I measured the chokes on my model 90's and only 2 of 7 matched conventional thinking. For example, my M90, 28" that should be Mod/Full, measures between skeet and open (bottom) and Mod (top). I have a 16 ga. 28" that measures imp. mod/extra full and my .410, 26" that Brophy says should be F/F measures Skeet II/Skeet II. Obviously the only way to be sure about the chokes in Model 90's is to measure them.
BarkeyVA