I have a Marlin 16 gauge hammer pump shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lnht1234
Beginner

I have a Marlin 16 gauge hammer pump shotgun

Post by lnht1234 »

. Can you tell me what model it is? ◇SPECIAL SMOKELESS STEEL◇ <------Marlin Firearms Co. New-Haven. CT., U.S.A. -‐-‐--> 16 GA. PAT'D MAY 12.1896. June 2. 96. Oct. 5.1897. NOV. 27. 1900. MAR. 29.1904. NOV. 29. 04. AUG. 2. 1906. MAR. 24. 1908. MAY. 19. 08. On top of the whole length of the barrel and 1 half inch wide is a rough pattern like chain links. There is a number on the receiver 148285. The stock has tape on it so I can't see any numbers behind the trigger. The stock has an inlaid white star on the right side. The pumpslide has 3 inlaid white diamonds. It had 6 but 3 are missing. It needs 2 replacement screws on the receiver. The original butt plate is missing. The stock has some scratches and appears to have a Crack behind the reciever, I cant tell how long the crack is because it has been taped. I don't know if I should remove the tape or not. This was my Dad's shotgun that he used for duck hunting many years ago. I inherited it when my Mom passed away a few years ago. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: I have a Marlin 16 gauge hammer pump shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

InHt1234;

There were only 2 models of the Marlin exposed hammer, pump action shotguns in 16 gauge, the Model 16 and Model 30. From the patent dates given and serial number, it would appear that you have a Marlin Model 30-G ( an improved variation of the Model 30 ) The Model 30 was made from 1911 to 1917. There will be a model marking on the upper tang, behind the hammer, which sounds like is covered by tape. The barrel matting was standard on some grades of all Marlin shotguns at some point in time.
The white diamonds on the wood are not from the factory. Someone added them later to make the gun "pretty". There are replica replacement butt plates available from www.gungrip.com Look for the butt plate that has "Marlin" written in script across the toe of the butt plate. They do require some fitting to the wood. The tape is there to hold the stock together. You would need to take the stock to a professional to be properly repaired. Even after that, it would be advisable not to try and shoot the shotgun.
These old shotguns are pretty touchy and need to be in COMPLETE working order to shoot, and even then, Marlin advised owners of these old shotguns not to shoot them several years ago.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.