Model 24 Question

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

oxbird
Beginner

Model 24 Question

Post by oxbird »

Hello....I own Marlin Model No. 24 serial #104035, a well-worn but interesting 12-gauge slide-action which I have had for about one year. It was a cheapie....but I am intrigued about its history. Normally, I have a pretty easy time of finding firearms serial number data on the internet....but I have had poor success in finding any information on this old girl.

Barrel carries serial number 111513C. Patent dates are 4/2/1889, 11/6/1894, 5/12/1896, 6/2/1898, 11/27/1900, 3/29/1904 and 11/29/1904. The finish on this shotgun is quite worn and is generally "plum", but I notice in sunlight the remains of what appears to be gold-leaf in the lettering on top of the barrel. Is that a normal thing?

I appreciate any information (date of manufature and other historical or practical information) concerning this gun that you may have to share. Thank you in advance....
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

This model was made for the longest period of any pre-war Marlin shotgun. From 1908 to 1917. Since the factory didn't keep serial number records for the shotguns of this era, the precise YOM cannot be nailed down. The known serial number block without an 'A' prefix is shown to begin in the 100,000 range and the highest known number for that is around 50,000 higher, so yours is from the start of that series. Again, we do not know if the A serial range came after that for certain.

The barrel and receiver will not be nummbered together, so yours is correct that way. The letter suffix to the barrel number usually shows the choke, so I'm wondering if there is an 'I' preceeding the 'C'... as in improved cylinder. However, I have never seen a model 24 that was other than Full choke. You can take your calipers to the muzzle and compare the inside diameter to standard choke dimensions.

The gold washed letters could well have been done after-market. Gold plating was a factory option but was most often seen on the higher grade pieces. These can be told by the fancy grain walnut and hand checkering. My guess is that a previous owner wanted to dress it up a bit and had the gold applied to his own taste.

That your is worn shows it was a 'working gun' and no doubt accounted for a large quantity of game. To contemplate it brings to mind a pleasant image of a fimily sitting down to a supper with a big platter of roast mallards as the main course. Sounds good to me!!! :D SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

Steve....Thank you for your reply!

I have carefully examined the barrel serial number and I see no letter "I"....only the letter "C" following the serial number. I would note that this letter is very slightly higher relative to the numbers which preceed it, but I am certain that they were all stamped onto the barrel at the same time.

I appreciate the thought of previous owners enjoying game bagged by this shotgun, although it was purchased in a very small town in the middle of quail country.......so it would likely be that sort of game......or perhaps crow......
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oxbird;

The "C" on the barrel serial number indicates the choke for your barrel. In this case, you have an open choke or cylinder bore. Marlin marked the choke of the barrel on each barrel with an "F" for full choke, an "M" for modified choke and the "C" for cylinder bore.
With a low serial number of 104,000 range, you have one of the earlier ones as the lowest recored is in the 100,00 range. I would estimate your gun to have been made 1908 to 1909 era.
I hope this helps.
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

Regnier...Thank you for your reply. Interesting information.....
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

I wonder if anyone who visits this board has a Marlin Model 24 that has a lower serial number than my shotgun (Serial # 104035)....?? It would be interesting to see how many guns are out there that are earlier in this model.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Rooted around the safe & found one in the 101XXX range. SW
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

Does anyone have an idea what sort of price range this Model 24 would have been in circa 1908? Seems like a high-quality shotgun, generally speaking, although perhaps Winchester, Remington and other common brands were more expensive....??
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

In 1908, MSRP for the model 24 was 23 bucks & change. SW
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

Thank you for this information, Steve!!

I plugged $23.00 in 1908 into an inflation adjustment calculator. $23.00 in 1908 dollars is equal to $479.93 in 2006 dollars. That tells us two things: First, it tells us that the Marlin Model 24 was not a "cheapie" shotgun. Second, it tells us that our currency is not exactly sound.

Does anyone know of any internet resources that would show old Marlin catalogues or other publications for the period when my shotgun was made?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oxbird;

If you go to our "Links" page, there is a place called Cornell Publishing. They have reproduced Marlin catalogs (and other companies) and cost in the $10.00 to $15.00 range.
I hope this helps.
oxbird
Beginner

Post by oxbird »

Thank you....I will take a look.....
gdp
Beginner

Re:

Post by gdp »

oxbird wrote: Sun May 21, 2006 3:12 pm I wonder if anyone who visits this board has a Marlin Model 24 that has a lower serial number than my shotgun (Serial # 104035)....?? It would be interesting to see how many guns are out there that are earlier in this model.
I have #101223