Model 19 forend dimensions

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Dstavlo
Beginner

Model 19 forend dimensions

Post by Dstavlo »

Hi all
I'm new to the forum and have just picked up a model 19 12 gauge. Its all complete with the exception of the forend (the iron is there, just the wood is missing). I've made forends for winchester model 97s in the past, so I figured I'd make one for this m19 but I'm having trouble finding what the dimensions should be. Does any one have a model 19 with a standard ribbed forend (or an 1898 as I believe the forends are the same dimensionally) that they could measure to let me know the O.D. and exact overall length?
Thanks much!
David
gonefishin485
Beginner

Re: Model 19 forend dimensions

Post by gonefishin485 »

I have a model 17 with a ribbed forend, I imagine they are the same. I tried to make my own forend since mine had the screw holes broken out but I didn't have the right tools and equipment to make a good one.

So the overall length of the forend is 6 and 3/4 inches

A 1 inch forstner bit was perfect for the center hole but unfortunately the bit I had wasnt long enough to make it all the way through. even flipping the blank end for end I still wasnt able to make a straight through hole.

Overall finished width is right about 1 and 1/2 inches
The ribs aren't very evenly spaced (on the original) and are anywhere from 3/8 to 7/16 apart with the exception of two where the screws go and they are 9/16 to 5/8 wide.

From the very front of the forend there are 11 grooves spaced 3/8 apart. In between groove 11 and 12 is the wide gap for the screw. Then it continues narrow grooves until number 16 and there is another wide space for a screw, then 1 last groove after the screw totalling 17 grooves.

From trying to build my own I'd highly recommend using a lathe if you have one. Unfortunately I don't and ended up just repairing my original. I hope the explanation wasnt too confusing. If necessary I could take some pictures for you. Also if you can build and reproduce the forend efficiently and effectively I may have to contract you to make one for me.
Dstavlo
Beginner

Post by Dstavlo »

Thank you very much! This was exactly the information I needed and is extremely helpful! I've got a lathe and a milling machine and have made a forend for my Winchester 97 3 screw so hopefully this one won't be too much different
Thanks again David
gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

Awesome. Let me know how it comes out. I'm looking forward to seeing the results