Looking for info on an Ranger 20ga O/U

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Eradicator
Beginner

Looking for info on an Ranger 20ga O/U

Post by Eradicator »

I have had this little work horse for over 35 years and its time I did a little research on it. It's a Sears Ranger over/under in 20 gauge. The serial number is 4 digits with what is most likely an R over it (it has some wear) I've been using it for pheasant hunting since it's such a great brush gun. What I'm looking for is an approximate value for insurance and I'm curious about the availability of parts. Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.
Eradicator
Beginner

Re: Looking for info on an Ranger 20ga O/U

Post by Eradicator »

Well I was chatting in a discord and one of the know-it-alls there posted this site with all the Sears sold guns and their manufacturers a d model numbers.

https://gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

Which lead me to a nice write up in Field and Stream on the Model 90 which is a spitting image of mine.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/greatest ... -model-90/

And there you have it.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Another reference is Brophy’s book, “Marlin Firearms a History of the Guns and the Company that Made Them,” published by Stackpole Books in 1989. Brophy devoted 8 pages to the Marlin Model 90.

You can sometimes find it for sale on the internet. You might be able to borrow a copy through interlibrary loan at your local library.

Ranger used the Sears trade name prior to WWII and JC Higgins after the war. Guns made for Sears by Marlin are designated 103.xx. The xx or xxx indicates the type of gun.

Curious to know what 103.xx is marked on your 20 ga. Ranger. I know of 20 ga Rangers that were marked 103.6. 103.12, 103.370, and 103.2237.
BarkeyVA
Eradicator
Beginner

Post by Eradicator »

It is a 103-6.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Thank you. By the way, I mis-typed 103.370 in my previous post. It should be 103.360.

I had a 16 ga. Sears JC Higgins 103.360 with a P-serial number (made in 1957).
BarkeyVA