Model 31 Lockup

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

1903forMe
Beginner

Model 31 Lockup

Post by 1903forMe »

Hello all! I’m here with an interesting question.

My dear friend asked me to look at a firearm for him. It is his grandfathers. A family heirloom one might say. It is a Model 31 16 gauge. It still has all the original blueing and is quite beautiful.

However! When it is assembled, it will not open upon lockup, even with the hammer down (I opened it and let it down to see if that helped). I can disassemble the mechanism and reassemble it open. The action works beautifully from open to close. But again remains locked shut. The release button on the side does not seem to work correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? They don’t want to shoot it, but to have it in working order would be wonderful. If anyone is not sure what it could be, would a brave soul be willing to open up a working Model 31 and send photos of the inner mechanicals? I don’t mind taking this one apart, I’ve gotten pretty good at it. But I don’t know what would be missing/broken that wasn’t already that way when I got it.

I can take any photos needed to diagnose the issue. Just let me know.

I appreciate all the help!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 31 Lockup

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

1903forme;

If you shotgun has an external hammer, it is not a Model 31(the Model 31 is a hammerless shotgun), but a Model 30. Check the very first post of this Shotgun Section for instructions on disassembly and what to look for as to the patented "Hang Fire Safety Release" system. Now if this is a Model 30, some of them did use the first style safety release system which has the small button on the upper, right side of the receiver. If you push in on the button and the action does not release, then there is a broken spring in the system. Either on the recoil block or the secondary safety sear. Probably the recoil block if I had to guess. It is somehow not releasing the locking bolt so the action can be opened.
I sold all of my shotguns (including a cut-a-way version of a Model 1898) so I cannot get you any photos. The post mentioned has lots of photos, so study those.

Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
1903forMe
Beginner

Re: Model 31 Lockup

Post by 1903forMe »

It is in fact a model 31. When I meant hammer, I meant the big piece on the trigger that strikes the firing pin. Sorry for the confusion!