Model 1898 pump action shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sleblanc66
Beginner

Model 1898 pump action shotgun

Post by sleblanc66 »

New member here. I've read through some of the topics and replies, and you guys obviously have access to information on these shotguns. what can you tell me about my recent acquisition. s/n 2220
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1898 pump action shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sleblanc66;

Unfortunately, your serial number is too low for the existing factory records. This will be a first year production gun, and NOT have the patented "Hang Fire Safety" button on the right side of the receiver that later guns had. There is a hang fire safety of sorts on the early guns.
To open the action without firing it, one has to push in on the firing pin and then open the action. The button on the later guns corrected this problem. Early guns came in 3 grades, the "A" or standard grade, the "C" grade and better "D" grade. Both of the later guns were factory engraved with checkered stocks. The "B" grade guns did not come along until 1903.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sleblanc66
Beginner

Post by sleblanc66 »

I do Have a correction. I now have the correct model number (model 19N) I'm not sure if that changes anything because the serial number is still the same.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sleblanc66;

Changes alot! The Model 19N is a much later gun than a first year Model 1898. Brophy states that the Model 19 was made from 1906 to 1907, which was when it was listed in the catalogs, but it was made for a much longer time from observation of serial numbers. Even Brophy shows a serial number of 149,947 which is in the 1913 time frame for exposed hammer shotguns. With a low number like yours, it might be a gun that was made either by the Marlin Arms Corporation or Marlin-Rockwell between 1916 and 1920.
Where is the "hang fire safety release" located on your Model 19N? Is it the small button up near the hammer on the right side of the receiver or is is down next to the trigger guard? What style takedown system does it have? Do you pinch the end of the magazine tube and pull it straight out then unscrew the barrel, or do you have to push a button in the end of the magazine tube to pull it out and move the action arm back to catch the breech bolt stop in the side of the action arm and then pull the action arm forward to release the action arm from the breech bolt? The Model 19 was made both ways.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sleblanc66
Beginner

Post by sleblanc66 »

First off, I appreciate the info. I'm just trying to narrow down manufacture year, solely for conversation purposes. this gun will never get fired, altered or sold. it's mostly a family heirloom that's been in my wife's family since new, so back to the gun. I'm pretty sure it was made by Marlin Arm Corp. because that is on the barrel, and between the years 1906-1916 because of model number having the "N" (19N). the "hang fire safety release" is down by the trigger guard. I'm not sure of the take-down method. There is a button on the forward end of the magazine tube. (metal button on one side with a spring behind it that locks into a hole in the tube). I have not tried to take it down. I do have pictures but for some reason I can't figure out how to add them here. Again thank you for your time and info.