Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun screw-in choke

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Guns&Dogs
Beginner

Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun screw-in choke

Post by Guns&Dogs »

I just became the proud owner of a 12ga Marlin Model 55 "The Original" Goose Gun. The one with a 36 inch barrel, 2 round box magazine and per the serial number, made in 1975.
Unfortunately it didn't come with a screw-in type choke. It appears that the barrel was threaded at the factory, I think. But I haven't been able to find any info on what size or type choke to use.
Anyone have info about this?
Thanks
Guns&Dogs
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun screw-in choke

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Guns&Dogs;

According to the 1975 Marlin catalog, the 36 inch barrel was full choke from the factory, and no mention of screw in chokes. So, apparently this gun was modified later by some gunsmith with screw in chokes.
Some detective work will be needed to determine the threads per inch inside the barrel and the length of the screw in choke in order to find suitable replacements. Brownells probably would have something that would work after determining all the requirements for the replacements.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Guns&Dogs
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun screw-in choke

Post by Guns&Dogs »

Found a fitter at Colonial Choke and Tool, LLC. Called them, gave lots of measurements and a few days later it arrived.
It is an off-the-shelf model 12-TSSC6. It's stainless steel which stands out from the blued barrel so I might look around for one that is more color coordinated. But, at least now I can give the gun a test shot or two. I'll only use lead shot and I'm really curious to see what kind of range vs pattern vs shot type it has.

There are a few pictures on the net showing this gun model with a choke. But Marlin doesn't mention anything about that. I find it hard to understand why someone would go thru the expense of cutting the barrel for a choke. As a collector, I strive to keep things original so I'm looking for verification that this gun came as-is from the factory.