New to me model 1898?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Shooter86
Beginner

New to me model 1898?

Post by Shooter86 »

I have a new to me marlin hammered pump 12 gauge wood looks new, steel is worn and plain. SN 66916 pat dats are 1894 1896 1896 no SN on the barrel that I’ve found yet. any idea on production date?

Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New to me model 1898?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Shooter86;

Information on serial number 66916 shows that this is a "C" grade Model 1898, shipped late 1904. The barrel serial number looks like 67955.
Often, on the Model 1898, the barrel serial number is located behind the pump action arm and hard to see without a flashlight or taking the gun down and move the pump arm forward.
The "C" grade gun was factory engraved with checkered, fancy walnut stocks and sold for about $40.00, new.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Shooter86
Beginner

Post by Shooter86 »

Thanks! I miss quoted the last 3 should be 917 but I bet the date is right on it’ll be fun gettin her cleaned up and workin up some light loads for it. I did find the barrel number it reads in the 1200s and has a makers mark that I can’t read very well. Thanks for all the info!
Shooter86
Beginner

Post by Shooter86 »

Ok I got started on the tear down on this thing knowing I was going to have a few things to look at. The hammer followed the bolt home when I held the trigger down being one. The secondary safety sear spring is broken but I’d like to share these photos with the smart people and see if the rest seem overly worn. The other problem was that the hang fire release wouldn’t unlock the bolt which from looking at how it was made if that spring is broken will probably cause that. But before pictures I have another dumb q how do I post pictures? Running off my phone and it doesn’t seem to want to link to the photos here
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Shooter86;

For instructions on how to post photos, go to the first post in the section labeled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS".
Yes, the springs on the secondary safety sear, and the recoil safety block must be intact. A good, clean action helps, too. The breech block must drop down completely to release the secondary safety sear when it functions properly.
As to the push button not working, that would be the recoil safety block spring not working to pivot the safety block hook off of the breech block so the breech block can be released when the pump action arm is moved.
This action is somewhat complicated, but when working properly, it is quite safe and strong.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Shooter86
Beginner

Post by Shooter86 »

I ended up buying a hammer recoil block and a couple safety sears since that was the one actually broken part. I finally got around to reassembling it and now the bolt won’t lock into battery at all. Could it be that I just put the safety seat in before the bolt? Or maybe one of the new prices is worse off than the old, I’ll try some of the older parts in it tomorrow and reassembling it the way it’s noted in the disassembly post. Had a hard time getting he slide to lock in because the bolt wouldn’t go all the way into battery