Marlin model 90 problem

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sparky40
Beginner

Marlin model 90 problem

Post by sparky40 »

Hello,
I have 2 Marlin model 90's in 16ga. When I fire the first barrel I cannot break the gun open. It seems like the safety is not releasing, if I play with it it will finally break open. When it's on the bench everything functions fine ( had it to a gunsmith he had the same results). The second 90 started doing it this season pheasant hunting. If I flip it over and hit it on my hand a couple times it will open. Very frustrating!! Has anyone else had this problem?? Looking for any suggestions or a Gunsmith that works on older shotguns. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :?: :?:
Markster
Beginner

Re: Marlin model 90 problem

Post by Markster »

Sparky, Since you have a 90 double trigger, maybe you can solve a mystery for me. I just inherited one and I have no idea which trigger fires which barrel.
Can you clue me in? (Mine is 20 ga)

Thanks / Markster
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Marlin model 90 problem

Post by BarkeyVA »

Markster wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:24 am Sparky, Since you have a 90 double trigger, maybe you can solve a mystery for me. I just inherited one and I have no idea which trigger fires which barrel.
Can you clue me in? (Mine is 20 ga)

Thanks / Markster
The front trigger fires the bottom barrel, back trigger fires the top barrel (typically the tighter choke).
Model 90's with 26" barrels are typically choked !C/Mod, 28" and 30" barrels (12 ga only) are choked mod/Full.
BarkeyVA