Model 24G

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lotsasawdust
Beginner

Model 24G

Post by lotsasawdust »

Hi All,
I'm a new member here. I just picked up a project gun. A Marlin model 24G shotgun. The wood is in great shape but someone painted the gun with black paint. With a brush no less. Serial# A16920. I'm not sure if I'm going to shoot it but, want to restore it because it's a cool looking shotgun. Just wondering what finish was on the gun. Not sure if it was blued or not. Under the paint it's mostly raw steel.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 24G

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lotsasawdust;

Your Marlin Model 24G with the "A" prefix serial number would have been made about 1916/1917. At that time, Marlin was using a high luster blued finish on the exposed hammer, pump action shotguns. Marlin used a rust blue system to blue their guns at the time. The hammer would have been case-colored.
After 1921, the shotguns did not receiver the high luster blue, but a more dull or satin type of finish.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
lotsasawdust
Beginner

Post by lotsasawdust »

Thanks for the info on this gun. Now I have to figure out how to strip off the paint without damage to the metal.
Thanks again
Rick
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rick;

If there is no original finish remaining under the paint, you can use a chemical stripper or even use a heat gun to remove the paint, so long as the gun is totally disassembled. If you use a heat gun, I would be careful not to get things to hot. The paint should blister rather quickly under the heat gun and be easy to remove. A chemical stripper should not pose any problems if there is no original finish left.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
lotsasawdust
Beginner

Post by lotsasawdust »

Thanks again. There is no bluing under the paint that I can see. I'm going to try the heat gun and see how that works.
Rick