Marlin Model 49 shotgun info???

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mikeinla
Beginner

Marlin Model 49 shotgun info???

Post by mikeinla »

I just picked up a Marlin Model 49 shotgun in trade. I cannot find out much info about this shotgun. The info I found online says it was part of a give away when buying stocks and it should not be shot??? The serial number is A2171
What is it worth?? I think this is a take down model.
Any info or links to a manual would be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 49 shotgun info???

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mikeinla;

The Marlin Model 49 was a Stock Option Gun. Marlin offered several different models of guns to those that purchased 4 shares of stock in the company from about 1928 to 1932. Each share was $25.00, so for an investment of $100.00, you got your stock and a free gun.
The Model 49 was not a new model, but a gun made of parts from older models that had been discontinued. This way, there was little or no investment by the company and could then afford to give away the Model 49. It is a takedown action, utilizing the first type of takedown system Marlin used on their shotguns. As I said, left over parts.............
The Model 49 is one of those exposed hammer, pump action shotguns that has a rather complicated internal works. EVERYTHING must be in proper working order to be safe to fire, and then using low pressure loads only. Marlin advised owners of these old pump action shotguns not to shoot them years ago. But, if EVERYTHING is in proper working order, it is a very strong action and many people do shoot their shotguns. They do check them frequently to make sure that they are still working properly.
Value of any antique firearm is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining, original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these conditions, it is not possible to give an accurate estimation of value at this time.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.