Marlin 90DT 20Gauge

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Oppel
Beginner

Marlin 90DT 20Gauge

Post by Oppel »

Hello,

My grandfather passed down this Marlin shotgun to me when he passed 3 years ago. I've kept it in the case ever since. And has really only been shot maybe 2-3 times.The production number is low, and I just wanted to clarify what year it was made in: P114

I also wanted to know if having the original tag to the gun added value, and my grandfather kept it also, and the tag it self is in good condition.
All this being said, what do you think the value would be on this shotgun. It will not be for sale as this will be a family heirloom.

Thanks for any information you may have!

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Marlin 90DT 20Gauge

Post by BarkeyVA »

That is a really nice Model 90. The P-serial number indicates it was made in 1957. According to Brophy in his book, Marlin Firearms published in 1989 by Stackpole Books, from 1952-1957 only 1,021 were made in 20 ga. with 28" barrels and only 530 were made in 20 ga. with 26" barrels. They stopped production of the Model 90DT in 1957. No records on how many were made prior to 1952.

Keep the hang tag. Too bad he didn't keep the box. Regardless, if it were mine, I would not let it go for less than $500. Someone might be willing to pay more for one in that condition because 20 ga. model 90's don't come up for sale very often.
BarkeyVA