Model 24 Pump Action question

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

RCHanlin
Beginner

Model 24 Pump Action question

Post by RCHanlin »

I've got a Model 24 that appears to be in perfect working order but the "Hang Fire Safety" button does not seem to serve any purpose. I can cycle the action regardless of whether the button is pushed. The only safety feature I can see that it has is a half cocked feature which will not allow me to cycle the weapon. With the action opened, I can see that the button does operate a lever up and down but does not block or prevent the action from operating. I believe the gun is safe to fire but need to know for sure.

Thank you
RC
GCA, RSA, Member, NRA Life Member, Member: Georgia Gun Owners
Owner/Operator: RC Gunworks LLC
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 24 Pump Action question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

RCHanlin;

Something does not sound right about your Marlin Model 24, exposed hammer, pump action shotgun. There are a number of pieces/parts that work together and the action should not open without pushing the Hang Fire Safety release button. If you do not have to set the safety off, how do you know the breech bolt locking lug is actually locking up correctly? If the breech bolt locking lug is not locking up, then the safety release will not work as the locking lug has not dropped down to engage safety release "hook", that keeps the locking lug in the locked position until either the gun is fired or the button is pushed. If the locking lug is not locking up correctly, the most definitely the gun is NOT safe to shoot. There is also a secondary safety sear that should not allow the hammer to drop unless everything is working correctly.
You should really take the gun completely down and see what is going on inside. There are small springs that tend to break and make the operation unsafe.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
RCHanlin
Beginner

Post by RCHanlin »

Thank you for your response. I will do as you suggest and disassemble the firearm and give it a more thourough going over. I want to add that I did run a function check by loading shells into the magazine tube and cycling them through and everything seemed to work fine. I was only able to pull the slide back after I dropped the hammer down manually (and safely) after each round had been chambered. I ran this check a half dozen times each time with a full magazine of three rounds. There is a magazine plug installed so only three rounds can be loaded.

RC
GCA, RSA, Member, NRA Life Member, Member: Georgia Gun Owners
Owner/Operator: RC Gunworks LLC
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

RC;

Study the photos in the first post of this section (Shotgun Questions) The gun in the photos has the later style Hang Fire Safety release system, but the system works about the same. It will be helpful. I have put several of these shotguns together, and they can be a challenge at times.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.