Marlin 12GA Pump Action Shotgun 1893 questions

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

momokat14
Beginner

Marlin 12GA Pump Action Shotgun 1893 questions

Post by momokat14 »

My husband inherited a beautiful marlin from his grandfather and the task has come to me to find out as much about it as possible. The serial number is 93196. It has "special smokeless steel" written on the side. It has engravings on each side. One side is ducks and the other, my husband was told, has passenger pigeons on it. I am looking up as much information as I can find and want to also know if I should get it appraised. Thank you all in advance as I know very very little on guns or their history.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 12GA Pump Action Shotgun 1893 questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Momokat14;

You have come to the right place. From the description, you and your husband have a "C" Grade, Marlin Model 1898, exposed hammer, pump action, 12 gauge shotgun. The "C" Grade gun was factory engraved with the scenes you describe. The stocks are checkered, fancy walnut, usually with a hard rubber butt plate with "Marlin" in script across the toe of the butt plate. The Special Smokeless Steel barrel was the standard barrel. There will be a serial number on the barrel, that should NOT match the receiver serial number. Next to the barrel number will be a letter (either F, M or C) that will indicate the choke of that barrel. The F is for Full Choke, M for Modified and C or cylinder bore or open choke.
Unfortunately, your serial number is to high for the existing Marlin shotgun records, so we can only estimate when it would have been shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. With a serial number in the 93,000 range, that shotgun may have been shipped around late 1905 or early to mid 1906.
There are several C Grade shotguns for sale (auction) on Gun Broker at this time ( www.gunbroker.com ). Compare the overall condition of your shotgun to some that are being offered, and watch them to see what they SELL for get an idea of the value.
Several years ago, Marlin advised owners of these old shotguns, not to shoot them. They have a rather delicate system, and if everything is not in perfect working order, they can be unsafe to shoot. There is a post in the shotgun section that describes how to test your shotgun to determine if it is in proper working order. If it is safe, do not use any high pressure loads as that would be unsafe for these guns.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
momokat14
Beginner

Re: Marlin 12GA Pump Action Shotgun 1893 questions

Post by momokat14 »

Incredible, thank you so much. I looking it up and people are asking from anywhere between 1000-3000. We are just planning on keeping it sealed up and having it stay in the family so I am not worried about shooting it. Thank you again very much. You have been a huge help.