Classic shotgun that resembles a M19-S

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

baldgunfixer
Beginner

Classic shotgun that resembles a M19-S

Post by baldgunfixer »

Hello,

I recently had a customer bring me a pump action shotgun to try and identify. It resembles a M19 but it does not have a hammer. There are no visible stamps or markings on the firearm. It does have a 3 digit number located in a couple places. I thought I would post in here and find out if anybody would know what it might be. I do not see a place to post pictures. If anybody would like to take a stab at identifying the shotgun please let me know. Thank you for your time.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Classic shotgun that resembles a M19-S

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Baldgunfixer;

Since you have a hammerless Marlin, pump action shotgun with a low, 3 digit serial number, I suspect you have a very early Model 28. The Model 28 was the first hammerless Marlin shotgun. Often times, when Marlin introduced a new model, the roll die to mark the action with the model number was not available to some of the first production guns. The Model 28 was made from 1913 to 1923 as a 12 gauge gun, in six different variations. Standard guns had either a 30 or 32 inch, full choke barrels. There should be a button on the back slope of the action that acts as a bolt opening release with the safety inside the trigger guard, in front of the trigger.
To post pictures, go to the "GUEST SECTION" of this message board, look for a post titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". Scroll down through the thread to a post by Road King. He gives directions on posting pictures on your post.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.