need help identifying a marlin shotgun and missing parts

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gonefishin485
Beginner

need help identifying a marlin shotgun and missing parts

Post by gonefishin485 »

hi everyone, new to the forum, not new to marlins, had a marlin model 60 in my hands as far back as i can remember, as well as a 336 thats been my best hunting companion yet. here recently i acquired a marlin pump shotgun that someone had left in a wood pile for who knows how long, ive been in this position before trying to restore something that was deemed too far gone by others, last time was a crescent side by side that would have been better off in the scrap iron pile than me restoring it, but i just love these old pieces with soul to them.

ill try to describe it as best i can and maybe the great minds here can tell me what i have and what to do with it, or atleast point me in the right direction.

it is a marlin 12 guage pump shotgun with an exposed hammer and a straight grip rear stock. the markings on the barrel read "marlin fire arms co., new haven ct, usa." then underneath are some patent dates, i can make out some of the dates but not all, the ones i can make out are april 2 1889, nov 6 im guessing 1894 (i can only see 94) may 12 1896, june 2 1986, nov 27 1900, march 29 1904 (assuming) and nov 29 1904. under the magazine are the numbers 98187. i also saw the 98187 another place but cant recall where on the gun that i saw it. there appears there was something written on the top of the rear stock tang, but its illegible other than a rusty "marlin" and partial "mod" the rest has been lost to rust.

to say the least this piece was rough and still is rough but i see the soul and the potential in it. my plans arent to make this a grade a restoration because i know that will never happen, what im shooting for (no pun intended) is a nice occasional shootable wall hanger. i know im crazy for wanting to polish this turd but i love old westerns and old guns like this. i know the stock and forend need to be replaced, its missing a screw on one side and its missing whatever controls the slide release. the slide release button is there but thats all it is, its there. ive taken this gun apart to clean it, and noticed that the slide release push rod is just there and nothing attached to it or nothing for it to operate. i saw this gun shot, against my advising because it didnt have an operational slide lock, but it did lock up and shoot. i havent shot it and wont shoot it untill it has a slide or bolt lock, i may be crazy but im not stupid.

so what exactly do i have here? ive tried to find what it is online but can never come up with a model like this one, all the ones i see have a pistol grip stock, not a straight grip stock like this one. any help is appreciated.

here are the pictures i was able to take of it

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/rollin2d ... t=3&page=1
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: need help identifying a marlin shotgun and missing parts

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gonefishin485;

It would appear that you have found a Marlin Model 17 from the pictures and description you presented here. The Model 17 was an inexpensive shotgun listed in the catalogs by Marlin between 1906 and 1908. From known serial numbers, it may have been made longer than that, just not listed in the catalogs. The Model 17 was a solid frame gun (not takedown action) to help keep the cost of manufacturing down.
The push button on the side of the receiver is to push the patented "hang fire safety release" recoil block. There are two pieces to the recoil block. There is the block itself and a hook that pivots on the block screw. The hook prevents the breech block from opening unless the recoil block pivots forward either on firing (recoil sets it off) or the button is pressed in to move the block forward. These are hard to find. You can see what these parts look like at Numrich Gun Parts Corporation's website and parts diagrams. ( www.e-gunparts.com )
Good luck with your project.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

alrighty, now were getting somewhere, could you tell me what the numbers of the parts that are missing? here is the numrich page for the model 17.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... -41085.htm

so far i know im missing 3 pieces, the screw, and the two for the release. im familiar with the action as ive had modern pump shotguns in the past. im kind of glad to hear its an inexpensive gun, just like the crescent i restored, it wouldnt have been used or carried by someone of means, it would have been in the hands of a farmer, rancher, or hunter.

would it be alright to occasionally shoot this with modern ammunition? or should it be more of a wall hanger like the crescent?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishin;

In the illustrations, the part numbers you need are #54M and #57M. Now I know Numrich does not have those parts in stock as I have tried in the past to get them.
About the only place to find these parts are on some of the internet gun related sites like Gun Broker or Guns International in the parts sections. I have found a few parts on eBay from time to time. There is a recoil block on eBay now, but it is the later version that will not work on the Model 17. Once in a while, someone will put a "psrts" gun up for auction, but that can get expensive as well.
As for shooting the old bird, if you can get EVERYTHING back in factory, working condition, then it is safe to shoot with low pressure loads. Very low pressure. Read the first post in this shotgun section about getting everything in working order before attempting to shoot it.
Good luck........

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

thanks again, any idea of where i might be able to get the stocks from?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishin;

Straight grip stocks do not show up very often. There is a forearm and pump action arm on eBay from the same guy that has the recoil safety block. He has a butt stock, but it is a pistol grip stock. He has the lower tang and trigger assembly for a pistol grip stock, so if you got them both, you could change your straight grip Model 17 into a pistol grip gun. He also has the tang screw for the pistol grip stock.
Good luck........

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

having trouble finding the auction your talking about on ebay, could you post a link please?

also, i found this. would any of these work?
http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/Marl ... 49_c20.htm

or could i adapt one of these? http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.h ... 6&cat=1227
i cant find any listed for a shotgun but i could do some minor dremel work to make one fit.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishing485;

The item number for the forearm and action bar is: 161197720514 The seller is rancher352. He has lots of parts listed for Marlin shotguns and other makes and models as well.

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

i thought that was the one, i saw it last night but wasnt sure. last question for now atleast.

would this be the part i need for the lock up? or do i need that and another part?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-MARLIN-12G ... RTM1562569
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishin485;

That is not the correct recoil block for the early Model 17 with the push button. Look at the Numrich diagram and you will see two different recoil blocks. The one you need (along with the hook) is the one I pointed out before. Either recoil block have to have the hook. The recoil block offsets the hook and releases the breech block after firing or upon pushing the button (on early guns with the push button) or the lever down by the trigger is moved in order to move the recoil block and release the hook.

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

alrighty, well then it appears im still on the hunt for those missing parts. i havent had any luck on the stock and forearm so i think im going to get my uncle to try to make me some. if he cant make it then it looks like im going to have to find something close and dremel it until it fits. i took the pistol grip stock off my 336 and its close, but would need more work to fit properly.

lastly i cant seem to find a picture of how the recoil block and latch fit in the gun, is it possible for you or someone to show me a picture or a diagram? if i had the parts in front of me im sure i could figure it out, but unfortunately i cant find the right parts.